marcia

Romanesco Broccoli

Has anyone tryed growing this? regular broccoli dos good here. how is this one. I'm really interested. I have 23 6 wk old plants ready to go in but I'm scared to put them out with the cold weather we've been having here.Its says to plant outdoors when a light frost is still possible. At about 8 wks. Does that sound right.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

marcia,

I have never grown this variety. I would treat it just like broccoli and cauliflower. Some of my broccoli has been in the garden for about a week now. At 8 weeks that should be a pretty huge plant. The variety, Veronica, has maturity date of 85 days. At 56 days your over halfway there.

applestar
Mod

I grew one last year called "Shannon" -- I LOVE the fractal design this amazing vegetable creates. :() Same cultural conditions as broccoli.

This year, I'm growing another variety, the name of which escapes me. I thought I still had some "Shannon" seeds left, but I didn't, and had to order, making me late. My average last frost was today and they only have one pair of true leaves with the 2nd pair just showing. I'm going to plant them in the part of the garden that receives afternoon sun and hope for the best.

If you're concerned about them getting too cold, you can always cover them with something, so I'd say go for it. Don't forget to harden them off.

RyanDe680
Cool Member

I am growing Romanesco this year.

I have about 8 2 month old plants in the ground, I planted them last weekend. I have had to cover them 3 times thus far because of the cold and chance of frost, but thus far all is well.

marcia

From what I see on the web the shannon looks like the one I'm growing. but mine is just called romanesco broccoli. I hope we like it. thanks

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Right now, I am growing some romanesco, and still need to plant more outside. I also put out, snowball cauliflower, orange cauliflower, purple cape cauliflower, Deccico Broccoli, and Goliath Broccoli. I will let you know how the romanesco does compared to the others.

marcia

I grow the cheddar califlower last year and really liked it. I did the purple also and wouldn't do that again.
It tastes like red cabbage. I didn't think the cheddar one froze up very well . Best if eaten fresh. thanks for the input.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”