1chichi

WHY IS MY LETTUCE WILTING?

Why is my lettuce turning brown, wilting and curling on tips?
It's in cold frame w/ Agribon row cover.
-Soil is not dry.
-Soil is ammended.
-For the past 2 weeks; temperatures are from 75/85 degrees in day and around 50 degrees at night.
-I covered the back of the window just in case the glass was magnifying the suns's rays.
Is there any thing else I can do?

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4543397674_0083c12c41_m.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4542764419_1fdc86d6db_m.jpg[/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

The lettuce (Romaine) I planted in the garden by seed last fall is doing great this spring. We have been eating it for about a month. The same lettuce planted in the garden this spring has been doing the same as yours. We had a hot spell and the early spring sun has been pretty intense. I had to put a shade screen up to protect the lettuce from the sun. Eventually my cucumbers will grow up a trellis and shade the lettuce. The sun also effected the fall planted lettuce by causing the plants to grow a tall stem with the lettuce head on top of the stem. I'm just trying to delay bolting now.

Where are you located? I'm in zone 7 and by your temps, it sounds like you may be in zone 8.

Ted

applestar
Mod

I agree. I think 75/85 is a bit warm-ish for lettuce. Also, could the row cover be getting wind-blown against the lettuce leaf tips?

1chichi

tedln wrote:.

Where are you located? I'm in zone 7 and by your temps, it sounds like you may be in zone 8.

Ted
I'm in SC
(not sure what zone it is).

1chichi

applestar wrote:I agree. I think 75/85 is a bit warm-ish for lettuce. Also, could the row cover be getting wind-blown against the lettuce leaf tips?
I did't know that 75 was too warm, or I would have planted in a shady spot. :oops:
You are right, the cover touches the tips when the wind blows.
I'll try to rig up a shade cover tomorrow, and hope for the best. :wink:
Thank you.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Go to this web page and enter your zip code. It will tell you which climate zone you are in.

https://www.backyardgardener.com/zone/index.html

In my zone 7, it is tricky to grow lettuce because when the cool weather of winter and early spring ends, we get hot fast. Hot weather and intense sunlight are not good for growing lettuce. Thats why I plant mine in the fall for a spring harvest. If you are in zone 8, I can't make any recommendations on how to successfully germinate and grow lettuce in the spring. There are some other green leafy vegetables like Swiss Chard which I understand serve well as a lettuce substitute and it supposedly will grow through the summer.

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I agree, It looks like heat stress. My greenhouse today, reach over 100 degrees, with outside temps of 70. Your cold frame was, is doing the same. 8)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”