jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/planting/planting.htm]Planting[/url]

Most all the small garden veggie seeds can be planted 1/2 inch deep. The few exceptions are some of the herbs that have miniscule seeds.

It is time consuming to place each seed, but it doesn't take any longer than making home made seed tape. A packet of small seed will go a long way if you spread the seed out properly and don't have to thin later. Thinning is work and pretty much a waste of good seed.

Farmer Bob

Hi Folks, I usually mix my tiny seeds with a bit of sand, half fill an old pepper cellar and lightly sprinkle the mix over the area where I'm planting that particular veg . I then lightly cover the area with earth and lightly tap the top earth down. That way I find I don't waste / over seed the area and neither do I have to transplant to thin out. Give it a try.!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

One fairly easy thing to do is to make your furrow, open the seed packet, and then gently shake the packet so that only a few seeds come out at a time. You could even do this in certain spots along the row so that they are in already-spaced "groups". This helps to cut down on the thinning.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”