rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Picked from the garden for dinner!

For the first time this year, I went out in the garden with my bowl and scissors and picked greens to go in our dinner salad! Yay!! I love it!

The lettuce, spinach and swiss chard are baby lettuce sized now, so I can start thinning them by picking. Put them in a spring greens salads with some violet leaves and flowers and some anise hyssop leaves. Yum!

Happy Spring!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

don't forget the redbud flowers!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My redbud is mostly done flowering, but I didn't know those flowers were edible!

applestar
Mod

Dandelion flowers (yellow middle part only) and tender baby dandelion leaves, baby plantain leaves, greenbriar shoots, garlic mustard flowers (honey-sweet fragrance, leaves are garlicky for an interesting flavor mix), sheep sorrel leaves (lemony sour).... 8) Do you have Ostrich Fern fiddleheads? -- quick blanch in salted water.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

For the first time this year, I went out in the garden with my bowl and scissors and picked greens to go in our dinner salad! Yay!! I love it!
Wait a minute, I didn't hear the dinner bell. You can call me anything you like, except late for dinner. :lol:

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Don't forget calendula flowers for your salad - they are my favorite edible flowers.

applestar
Mod

That reminds me, I have a bunch of calendulas sprouting in the path in the kitchen garden. I'm going to transplant them around other parts of the garden. I'll be sure to use some when they flower. :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Well, I would sprinkle in some Ox-Eyed daisy leaves. My orchard has many mounds of Ox-Eyed.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Geesenewarea003.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

This kind of stuff is new to me so I'm hiding in the shadows taking in what I can.

Glad to hear though that you getting some substance from you garden so early.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't have calendula or ostrich ferns (can't grow everything on my 1/3 acre, though I make a valiant stab at it!), but I certainly have dandelions, garlic mustard, and ox-eye daisies (not blooming yet, but the leaves). It's a good reminder that the garlic mustard is actually good for something! I was pulling it as we walked the trails at the nature sanctuary.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mainly, I just love being able to go out and pick something for dinner!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's great. You are weeks ahead of me. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

gone cuttin

Just picked our third patch of asparagus, had the outer leaves of the chard that wintered over and the walking onions have been in many dishes for weeks. Rhubarb is ready and the lovage can be used.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

And I juiced a nice bunch of chickweed the other day. For some reason they grow just in my blueberry pots, so I make sure not to pick all at once, and they grow so nicely, and have much more nutrition than our tamed greens. Sometimes I worry though, that they might be robbing nutrition from my blueberries - what do you think?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”