living a dream
Newly Registered

Any Fruit or Vegetables that Grow with Limited Sun?

I have a quick question is their any type of fruit or vegetable that can do well with only 3 to 4 hours of full sun? Thank you

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Many of the leafy greens will grow with 3 or 4 hours of sun a day, but they also prefer cool temperatures. Redlands is known for being rather...warm. :wink:

Are you in an apartment with a north-facing balcony, or a similar set-up?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

living a dream
Newly Registered

I have to share a backyard with kids :( my yard also has a couple of big old shade trees and a swimming pool so I have limited options looking to maximize MY space. Thank you for your help :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My arugula grows well in low light even in the heat of summer. Strawberries will also do well in low light, filtered light conditions.

applestar
Mod

Because it sounds like you're getting limited hours of INTENSE sun, I think bush beans would go on the top of my list. Strawberries, yes. Blackberries, I think. Swiss chard, most likely. Any of the mint family herbs: Various mints, lemon balm, various Basil, red or green Perilla... (Mammoth leaf basil and Green Perilla both make great substitutes for lettuce). Will post more if anything else occurs to me. :wink: Oh, cucumber, maybe. Green onions and chives both regular and garlic, and I think Nasturtiums will manage (leaves and flowers as well as seedpods are edible -- all have peppery flavor).

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

gooseberries fruit in mostly shade; not as much as more light, but some, for sure.

edit - and, after reading all you've said, a spiny cultivar will keep the kids off to some degree.

living a dream
Newly Registered

Wow, guys thanks a bunch I have strawberries that were destined for another part of the yard that will now fill that less sunny side of things and will put out more tomateo seedlings. I was thinking, I was destined to hang those, prefer putting them in the ground and more sun.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”