RedDogs2
Newly Registered

I'm trying to do a better job with my garden...though last year was my best by far, it's still laughable compared to what most of you are doing!

I've been reading the recent and older posts and have a few questions:

- The square foot garden book seems highly recommended. I have a ton of space... but will still be checking the library for it. What others are recommended? I like to read...but have limited time.
- Potato resources? I've read a few online pages about how to grow and care for them, as well as tips on here...
-Buying plants/seeds: What is the best/cheapest/quality option here? For beans/corn/etc seeds, should I pick those up at a grocery store? at a garden store? Order online? And what about live plants? In my other "hobby" (dogs!), pet supply stores are known to be very overpriced...
-From seeds: It sounds like it's way too late for a lot of that this year... my things growing from seed are doing okay but not all that well.... what type of soil should I have used for this? Is there an easy way to do the heat lamps? Is that something I should buy "at the end of the season"?
-I've seen several references on here to peas being a "cold weather" plant but "southern peas" being warm weather. What are "sugar snap peas"? regular? southern?

ETA: Condense and label
Last edited by RedDogs2 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

From one dog to another,

Way to many questions for one post. Some may not answer because of this. :wink:

I'll do books, One Straw Revolution, Gaia"s Garden, Edible Forest Gardens and Mycelium Running.
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We all get better at this a little bit at a time... next year is always going to be the best year ever! :D I already have plans for what to do better next year!

"Buying plants/seeds: What is the best/cheapest/quality option here? For beans/corn/etc seeds, should I pick those up at a grocery store? at a garden store? Order online? And what about live plants? In my other "hobby" (dogs!), pet supply stores are known to be very overpriced... "

In my experience, except for a few rare or unusual things, there's not much difference between cheap and expensive seeds. Grocery store or big box seeds work just fine. But live plants are very different. How the plant was grown and treated makes a big difference in whether you have a healthy plant or one that will fizzle or even introduce disease into your garden. Buy your plants only from a good local nursery (NOT a big box store) or a reputable on line seller. I've had generally good luck with plants ordered on line and mailed.

"-From seeds: It sounds like it's way too late for a lot of that this year... my things growing from seed are doing okay but not all that well.... what type of soil should I have used for this? Is there an easy way to do the heat lamps? Is that something I should buy "at the end of the season"?
-I've seen several references on here to peas being a "cold weather" plant but "southern peas" being warm weather. What are "sugar snap peas"? regular? southern? "

There are some things you could still start from seeds, perhaps just direct seeded into the ground - beans, corn, squash, melons, etc. In fact, it is still (especially if you are in northern ohio) probably just a little bit early to put them in the ground. Give it another couple weeks or so to warm up. Southern peas are actually a kind of bean. All the actual peas are cold weather crops and probably too late to plant them now, but you can do them at the end of summer for a fall crop.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”