garden_mom

Interesting corn facts

Here are some interesting corn facts that I just read in my Organic Gardening mag.
Water corn at the base, because if you soak the leaves it washes away the pollen and diminishes the number of kernels you get.
Squirt vegetable or mineral oil (I would think horticultural oil would work too?) into the tip of each ear when the silk appears to kill corn earworms.
Pick it right before you cook it, because the sugars in the corn start to turn to starch as soon as you pick it.
If you find a whitish gray blob on your corn, it's a fungus called corn smut but it won't hurt your corn. It is, however, a delicacy in Mexico called huitlacoche, or "Mexican Truffle". Fascinating! :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks again Garden Mom! Very interesting information, I shall emply these methods in my corn patches this year.

farmgirl

That is good info! Thanx! :D

Franco

That's awesome stuff, I was thinking about growing corn on my roof. Could you plant corn kernels you buy in the store straight into the ground? Or do you need to buy actuall corn seeds?

garden_mom

No problem, I love learning tidbits and facts about things, and I find nature endlessly fascinating, so I'm gald to finally have someone to share it with!
Franco, I'm not sure about the corn seed question myself. This year I bought mine as plants and transplanted them.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

These forums are great, aren't they?

uggabugga

I had some smut on my sweet corn last year - might have tried eating it but it was already dried out and spilling spores all over the place...

[img]https://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8061/smut1rw.png[/img]

what can be done about incomplete gemination in corn? my popcorn in particular has very spotty kernel development.

Fenry
Newly Registered

uggabugga wrote:I had some smut on my sweet corn last year - might have tried eating it but it was already dried out and spilling spores all over the place...
But that might be the time when it is prime for eating!

uggabugga wrote:what can be done about incomplete gemination in corn? my popcorn in particular has very spotty kernel development.
How much corn are you planting? Usually spotty kernel development is because of incomplete pollination...that's why books always tell you to plant a bunch close together, rather than 1 long row.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”