84pagirl

Has anyone ever planted potatoes in a garbage can?

:roll: THIS IS ONLY THE SECOND GARDEN I AM PLANTING. JUST WONDER IF ANYONE HAS EVER TRIED THIS, I READ ABOUT IT AND THINK I MAY TRY IT, JUST TIP IT OVER AND WALA NO DIGGING FOR YOUR POTATOES. I BOUGHT THE FRENCH FINGERLINGS ON LINE.[/u] :idea:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This is my first time ever growing potatoes, but I have them in just a large flowerpot/ container (the kind you could grow patio trees in). They weren't sprouting very fast, and I discovered the container didn't have enough drainage. Be sure your garbage can does. I can't say anything about results yet, but we can both do updates later!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

A trash can would work. Though it may be overkill. I"m sure you have researched this or you probably wouldn't be thinking about doing it. But people use all kinds of containers. From box box towers to 5 gallon buckets to homemade cages filled with straw. I would at least make sure it is clean before use and plenty of drainage.

I have some growing in 5 gallon buckets and large pots I think they are 7 maybe 10 gallon pots.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03547.jpg[/img]

This is an experiment myself it will be interesting to see how this goes for all of us.

crobi13

I'm also trying to grow them in containers. I have them in a 5 gal. "paint bucket". They are growing like crazy.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My best potato crop was grown in 3 old car tires several years ago. I placed the potato eyes directly on the dirt around the inside edge of the tire. I filled 1 tire with compost and it about 2 weeks the vines grew out the top. I put on a second tire and filled it with compost. In a short time the vines grew out the top. I put on a third tire and let the vine grow out the top. I watered it sometimes and when the vines turned yellow and looked like they were dying I removed the tires and there were several giant potatoes.

This year I am going to plant potatoes directly in my compost pile and see what happens.

StorageSmart2
Cool Member

From the sounds of it, potatoes seem to be able to grow anywhere. I feel a little sheepish now. :oops: When I cut up a potato from my cupboard and planted it in a flower pot I was woohooing all over the place. I even wrote a whole blurb on it in my live journal and posted pictures.

Still, I am proud of my potatoes, even if they do seem to grow in old tires and compost bins and paint buckets and garbage cans. The point is, they grew in my flower pot too. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”