Perslane

Too much rain...is that possible???

We just had 3 days of straight rain here in San Antonio and the sun has finally shown itself today.

In looking at my Poblano and Bell Pepper plants, which each have their own planter, they were pretty full with water. The bell pepper plant looks good, leaves are still full of life and "perk" for lack of a better word. However, the poblano plants leaves are definitely drooping. Could it be that they got too much water?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SaulsX

No experience growing peppers, so I can't say for sure, but the only problem I can think of that might result in getting too much water would be rotting roots. Drainage problem with the planter the poblano plant is in?
Last edited by SaulsX on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GardenJester

Unless your garden became all soggy and swampy then you are pretty safe. It's not really the rain that causes problem for your garden(unless of course your garden becomes innudated), it's the prolonged humdity that breeds all kind of fungus.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It sounds like your peppers are planted in containers. If that's the case, yes, container-grown plants can be drowned in heavy rains. It is critical to use a soil mixture especially designed for use in containers. If you mix your own, use a recipe that provides for very rapid drainage. Always use containers that have plenty of drainage holes in the bottom, and do not put drainage saucers/trays under outdoor containers. In some instances, it's helpful to raise the container off the ground a bit to enhance drainage.

Perslane

Thanks for the info all, I've drained as much water from them as I can and checked on them about 6 hours later and unfortunately, the leaves are still limp. I'm hoping it will get better tomorrow, I'll just keep an eye on it. :(

Lupinus

How did you drain it?

If you are having to manually drain it sounds like you have not enough drain holes, blocked drain holes, or poor soil for containers, or a combo of the three.

Perslane

There are definitely not enough drain holes, I'm probably going to get a new planter for it. What kind of soil do you recommend?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You may want to go with a commercial potting mixture in your case. It can sometimes be hard to make your own soil mixture that drains well enough.

I would also recommend against using too much compost in the pot as it could hider the drainage.

Perslane

It's come back to life! I decided to drill holes into the planter last night and wow, there was still quite a bit of water in it, at least a quart. And this morning, he's pepping back up. Thanks for all the advice everyone! :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Perslane wrote:It's come back to life! I decided to drill holes into the planter last night and wow, there was still quite a bit of water in it, at least a quart. And this morning, he's pepping back up. Thanks for all the advice everyone! :D
Very good I got to the end of your post and you beat me to it. I was going to suggest drilling more drainage holes in the planter if it wasn't a super fancy or clay one.

Glad things worked out for you. Container grown plant are pretty tricky.

Good luck.

Perslane

Thanks so much, my brother-in-law suggested it too. Just glad I got a drill this year for Christmas so I could do it last night. Thanks again everyone!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Look at the positive, stressing a pepper increases the heat :)

Perslane

Haha, that's funny! They're doing really great today so they're definitely boiling!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”