jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Planting Day

[url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/planting/planting.htm]Planting the Garden[/url]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Very nice Jal-ut,

Your view looks alot like Eastern Washington. I use to go over to fish twice a year. It's been a few years.

Walking on your seeds is very interesting. No compaction or crusting over :?: I open a furrow spread the seed and cover with compost or potting mix. I believe it carries a more constant moisture.

I also have a Earthway seeder. Works great for the bigger seed.

scot29
Cool Member

Great pics jal, & nice views too! I'd be scared to step on my seeds, but your explaination makes sense.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I love the view of the garden with the mountains in the background.

And yet, your site is so nice and flat!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/cole_seedlings.jpg[/img]

It has been six days and already something is coming up. It looks like one of the cole crops. Maybe Kale?

Often times on seed packets I have read something similar to this: "Cover with 1/2 inch of fine soil firmly pressed down."

Press it down however you like, but stepping on it does the job. The soil is not going to compact doing this because it is not overly damp. If it was wet enough to make mud balls you would not even want to be in your garden.

applestar
Mod

Looking great! I always love your photos. :D

Does gardening 5000 feet closer to the sun make a difference in terms of light intensity? Longer daylight hours? Does the sun rise earlier and set later?

Just curious. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome my friend good to hear you are finally getting it going. Can't wait to see how thing progress up there.

Beautiful as usual. Stomp away. :lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Does gardening 5000 feet closer to the sun make a difference in terms of light intensity? Longer daylight hours? Does the sun rise earlier and set later?
Yes. No. No.

The sunlight is more intense because there is 5000 less feet of contaminated air to travel through. It is certainly easy to get a sunburn here.

Since my location is in a valley the mountains raise the horizon and actually give me shorter days. I don't think the altitude affects the day length. The amount of North lattitude will affect the day length.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

What a gorgeous views James!!!

And the soil that actually looks like soil!!! Happy growing!

Regards,
D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”