bripow
Newly Registered

Getting Started

Going to remove sod from an area in my back yard and build a couple of raised beds, along the lines of this : [url]https://erincovert.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/how-to-build-a-raised-organic-vegetable-garden-planting-bed-part-one/[/url]

I am a total newbie to this with no knowledge of what to do. Before I build the raised beds, should I till the soil they will be built on? And once the beds are constructed, what should I mix in with the existing soil to fill up the beds?

And can I plant this spring or won't the soil be ready to be planted?

Thanks for the help! I am really excited to get started.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Get a Square Gardening book. You don't need to dig the soil, if you won't use existing soil, just lay thick layer of newspaper or cardboard or weed cloth on top. Then you can use any mixture you prefer. In square gardening book he recomends one third compost, one third peat moss and one third vermiculite(Homer Depot has bigger bags), but some people prefer to have some real soil in it too. I put some rock dust and manure too. Have fun!

bripow
Newly Registered

Are you referring to Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot_gardening

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Square Foot Gardening, by Mel Bartholomew, plus a few points from my own experience with it in Spring 2008 and following seasons:

--not necessary to till anything. Just build the raised bed where you want it. :D

--several layers of newspaper or one layer of cardboard at the bottom of the raised bed will do well for weed suppression until your plants establish themselves. After that, the weeds more or less "give up" due to complete lack of sunlight. :D

--I believed Mel and his "6 inches is enough" statements in Spring 2008. Ha! There are...several!...vegetables which need significantly more than 6 inches of planting medium: carrots and beets, to begin with. Tomatoes do better with deeper soil, as well. Go for at least 10 inches if you can wangle it.

--One third compost, one third vermiculite, and one third peat is Mel's recommendation. I followed it to the letter in Spring 2008, including acquiring composts from varied sources: my own, commercial compost from grape pomace, etc. However, I have (since then) become more educated about the situation re. peat AND realized that some of my watering problems were due to peat repelling water. :evil: I think you would be fine with more compost, more vermiculite (just make sure it is certified/labelled asbestos-free--99% of verm. *is* asbestos-free these days), and maybe some potting mix. Just refrain from native soil; it will contain weed seeds and other malefactors who are lying in wait to cause trouble for your tender seedlings and young plants.

We've had lots of discussions on how to make raised beds, but read Mel's book. Nothing is like seeing the numerous photos he provides. :D

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”