1chichi

Anyone have Experience Growing Callaloo?

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience growing seeds for Callaloo?
Callaloo is a delicious leafy green vegetable dish served in Jamaica. It tastes a little like spinach, only better.

The actual plant is a type of Amaranth.
I ordered the seeds and would like to get a bumper crop, so I could freeze them for winter.
THaNkS

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

No, sorry. But I got the seeds of another kind of spinach, that gives berries too. It is called strawberry spinach from Pinetree seeds. Just put it in the seedling mix. Let us know how yours turns out!

1chichi

Joyfirst wrote:No, sorry. But I got the seeds of another kind of spinach, that gives berries too. It is called strawberry spinach from Pinetree seeds. Just put it in the seedling mix. Let us know how yours turns out!
I saw that Strawberry spinach at Pinetree.
It's funny you mentioned Pinetree, because I ordered heirloom tomato seeds and row cover from them.

Michael H
Newly Registered

Chichi, Could you please tell from where you ordered the calaloo seeds, thank you.

84pagirl

Never heard of the spinach but that sure is a cute greenhouse. where did you get it?

1chichi

Michael H wrote:Chichi, Could you please tell from where you ordered the calaloo seeds, thank you.
I got the seeds off of EBAY. I just typed in "Callaloo seeds" and did a search.
They were 1000 seeds for $5.00
Since then, I have done a search on ask.com at typed in "Amaranth seeds" and found them much cheaper. 8) Oh well, live and learn.

I will plant some tomorrow and I hope the seeds are good.

1chichi

84pagirl wrote:Never heard of the spinach but that sure is a cute greenhouse. where did you get it?
I got mine on sale from www.greenhousemegastore.com
"SPRINGHOUSE CLEAR"
Item # HG-FHSP-C
It was $168.00 and shipping was free.

I just did a search, & I see this site has it for $139, but I don't know how much the shipping is.

https://www.meijer.com/s/flowerhouse-clear-springhouse/_/R-46351?cmpid=cashoppingcom#

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Amaranth is more widely raised for seeds(grain) and it can become invasive - so check if it is in your area.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”