TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Merlitons/Chayotes have a very nice mild flavor that resemble broccoli stems more than anything else I can think of. When cooked they are fairly soft. I peel, halve them, take out the seed and then slice about 3/8 thick and steam with butter garlic powder and salt.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Ozark Lady,

I'm not aware of any artichoke production in Texas. The USDA ran some tests in 2007 to see if any variety of artichoke could be a commercial success in the Rio Grande Valley, but I don't think any commercial production exists.

Most of the artichokes sold in the United States are grown near Castroville, California. Castroville is located near the top of some high hills separating the Central Valley of California in the East from the Pacific coast of California. With the warm dry air of the valley on the East side and the cool moist air of the ocean on the west side, Castroville normally has warm sunny days and cool foggy or moist nights. This happens to be the ideal climate for growing artichokes. No other location in the United States can duplicate the climatic conditions which exist near Castroville.

I understand the USDA tests in Texas were successful testing about five varieties of artichokes. The problem seems to be in the hot dry climate of the Rio Grande valley, the artichoke simply requires to much water to be a commercial success. Gardeners in that area can probably grow them in their gardens for personal use or possibly for sale in Farmers Markets, but not on a large scale.

You must be a very, very patient lady to actually enjoy eating them. I think they must surely be a caloric negative vegetable considering the amount of energy expended to receive the amount of energy available.

Ted

applestar
Mod

If I remember correctly, artichoke is high in some essential nutrients. If your body is deficient in one or more of these, I believe there is a tendency for the brain to recognize the nutrient in what you are eating, and trigger a craving.

I find that on the rare occasions that I eat artichokes, I, too, can't stop eating them. There are some other foods that have a similar effect on me: watermelons, lobsters, and avocados to name a few. There are probably others.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

When our kids were children, we had some friends with two children of similar ages to ours. Our friends would go out to a restaurant for a meal. The parents would order steaks with baked potatoes and all the trimmings. The two kids would order large salads with no salad dressing. While most kids would microwave some popcorn for an evening snack, those kids would cook artichokes and eat them for an evening snack. I think your right about the body recognizing nutritional deficiencies and simply craving foods that will supply the needed nutrients.

Ted

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

What about shade cloth to beat the heat a bit?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

now, now, ted, 'texture similar to a potato' doesn't mean 'this vegetable is just like a potato', flavor counts for something too, doesn't it?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Joyfirst wrote:What about shade cloth to beat the heat a bit?
In my case, I think the shade cloth will work for the lettuce. I have green frost protection blankets that I am thinking of laying over the cucumber trellis until the cucumbers grow tall enough to shade the lettuce.

Potatoes,

Since store bought potatoes have almost no flavor to me, why trade one flavorless vegetable for another flavorless vegetable. I eat potatoes by adding salt, pepper, butter, cheese, and a variety of other seasonings depending on my mood. I don't grow potatoes, but I have eaten home grown potatoes and they are a whole different ball game. Home grown potatoes actually have taste. Since I am open minded :clap:, I will buy some Chayote and try them. :D

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”