garden5
Super Green Thumb

Onion planting/spacing question.

OK, I should probably know this by now with all of the research that I've done, but there are some conflicting views, so I'll throw it out here.

Which planting depth is better if you want larger bulb onions, 1 in. or 1/2 in.? I'm talking about planting already sprouted sets, by the way.

Also, I've heard that onions should be spaced about 4 in. apart with rows 1 ft. to 1.5 ft. apart for the large onions. Couldn't you just plant them equidistant 4 in. and still get the large onions?

Thanks for any opinions.

applestar
Mod

I hope you're not planting onions like tulip bulbs, and that you're not talking about 1/2" or 1" deep to the tops of the onion sets. Because from what I understand, you want to leave the tips of the onion sets peeking out of the ground.

I think the productivity of planting distance would depend on how well your bed was prepared. It's the deeper looser and properly balanced raised beds that are supposed to be able to support closer equidistant planting.

Gerrie

Can't answer your question with any certainity, but I've heard you plant them close to the surface. I've had such sporadic success and failure with onions that this year I've tried every possible planting method just to see which works best on my land. Keeping a log and checking it twice...

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>Couldn't you just plant them equidistant 4 in. and still get the large onions?

absolutely correct. the only glitch is weed control and "access" - planting 20 rows 4 inches between rows results in a patch width "too far to reach into" - I do mine 4-6 inches apart in "blocks" about 3x3 feet - that way I can easily reach into to the "whole block"

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Garden5,

I plant my onions 6" apart in all directions. My raised beds are 3ft wide and 20ft long. Can easly reach everything from the paths.

Most onions, you pull the soil away from the bulb as it devolops, exposing the tops.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, everyone.

Apps, the onions look like the typical sets you buy at the store: a small bulb with the tall greens coming up. The planting depth that I'm referring to is how deep the bottom of the bulb should be.

Timlin

I plant mine closer together (3") and use every second one as a green onion. It' only because I like to plant a couple different types and I always have left over sets because my bed is not all that large. It works for us.

soil
Greener Thumb

I plant mine at 1 and a half inches in the fall. then when spring is here I pull every other one out for green onions leaving them at 3 inches apart, in late spring pull out every other again you get small onions about 3 inches across and they are now 6 inches apart. then in summer I harvest 5-6 inch+ onions.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What's up G5?

I planted mine roughly 4 inches apart, you can plant closer if you want smaller onions (green onions) or slightly further apart if you want bigger onions. Or as Soil said plant close together and pull every other one for early harvest to still have bigger onions.

How are your plants doing (we have been Pm'g each other on seed progress). My seedlings are still kicking but a lot smaller than the sets and bulbs. It has been very warm here though. I also have direct seeded some that are coming up.

Rereading this I see Soil ends up at 6 inches. That might be good as well. I have never had good luck with onions so I'm trying everything possible this year. I'm gonna have at least one good onion if it kills me.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:What's up G5?

I planted mine roughly 4 inches apart, you can plant closer if you want smaller onions (green onions) or slightly further apart if you want bigger onions. Or as Soil said plant close together and pull every other one for early harvest to still have bigger onions.

How are your plants doing (we have been Pm'g each other on seed progress). My seedlings are still kicking but a lot smaller than the sets and bulbs. It has been very warm here though. I also have direct seeded some that are coming up.

Rereading this I see Soil ends up at 6 inches. That might be good as well. I have never had good luck with onions so I'm trying everything possible this year. I'm gonna have at least one good onion if it kills me.
Hey, Gix, noting much lately. My onions are still in there cells :(, I just haven't had enough nice days to finish getting the garden tilled and worked, but that will hopefully change soon. That's why I asked this question. I thought about spacing them 6 in., but 4 works out better for me space-wise, so that's what I'm going to go with.

If you think about it, that would allow the onions to grow to about 4 in. in diameter before they start touching. If you take into consideration the fact that I'm probably going to be harvesting these plants as they reach eating size, that will allow the ones left in the ground longer to have enough room to grow larger.

Thanks for the advice everyone and good luck with your onions, Gix.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

G5 don't take word as the Gospel. I'm experimenting myself. Maybe try different distances and see what works best for you.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Onions are not planted deep. Just put the small set under the ground an inch deep. That is an inch of soil above the top of the onion set.

If you want 4 inch onion bulbs you can't very well plant them 3 inches apart. Here is a pic. These were planted 6 inches apart and they are nearly touching.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/onions_08.jpg[/img]

If you want big onions, plant them early and give them some space to grow. Zone 5 they should be planted already.

kgall

I direct seeded onions in the garden last week.
When should I put out the onions I started inside? We had a dusting of snow a couple days ago and the temps have been in the low 40's. Should I wait until I put in my warm weather stuff, which is around mid may?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When should I put out the onions I started inside?
Now.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Please check this out: [url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch3.html]Onion Roots[/url]

We tend to forget that the underground part of our garden plants often are larger and more spread out than the above ground parts. Onions really do need more space than that needed to accomodate the bulb. Planting onions 4 inches apart both ways will seriously hinder the plants ability to obtain suficient water and nutrients from the soil. Plants six inches apart and rows 12, or more, inches apart is good practice for onions.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the extra info, Jal. It looks like I better get planting :shock:! Also, great reading on the onion roots.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

To make yet another point.

I said earlier in this thread that I planted at 4 inches. That is what the package of sets suggested. But to be honest after looking at my planting they're really more like 5-6 apart. I guess my brain wouldn't let me plant them that close together. A good thing.

The point being experience can do you wonders and always be wary of planting directions. I have seen some that are way off for "ME". A lot of the directions are generalized for a certain area, that area may not be "your" area.

kgall

Thanks Jal_Ut. They are going out today!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:To make yet another point.

I said earlier in this thread that I planted at 4 inches. That is what the package of sets suggested. But to be honest after looking at my planting they're really more like 5-6 apart. I guess my brain wouldn't let me plant them that close together. A good thing.

The point being experience can do you wonders and always be wary of planting directions. I have seen some that are way off for "ME". A lot of the directions are generalized for a certain area, that area may not be "your" area.
I really agree with you, there, Gix. Some of those seed packets, I have found, often over-compensate with the spacing. That is, they say to plant farther apart than you really have to. Honestly, every situation is different, so I like to ask on here and see the different ways people plant and space and choose what I think will work best for me.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”