jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"How do you mark your garden plants?"

I don't. Its a pain. The markers get lost, the Magic Marker fades very quickly. You end up guessing anyway. If I have something unusual that I want to keep track of, I just make a note in my notebook about it and where it is planted.

If I need to mark a row I just use a wood stake. Sometimes on slow germinating things like carrots, I will put a few radish seeds on each end of the row to mark the row. The radishes come up quickly.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Oh, yes, radishes grow quickly. The only problem, that I am the only one in the family who eats them and even me -several times a year. I did buy some german giant radish seeds(which supposed to never get too spicy and woody), so i might raise some this year.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Try a cooked radish, it will make a radish lover out of you.

Prior to trying cooking them, which I learned about here, I ate 2-3 per year. Now I can eat that many in a meal, easily.

They are great cooked!
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

1chichi

I cut up the plastic container strawberries came in and made tags. They r skewered on toothpicks.
Also, I cut a drinking straw into pieces and made little Id. stakes.

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4528970806_d868e184e2.jpg[/img]

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

First time I saw a set of plastic tags - I was shocked with the price!!!

Old mini blinds and ball point pen - does last for entire year (permanent markers don't seem to last for me). Then I attach the tag to the cage at convenient level...

Regards,
D

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:Old mini blinds and ball point pen - does last for entire year (permanent markers don't seem to last for me). Then I attach the tag to the cage at convenient level...

Regards,
D
I use old mini blinds (cut into the right length and into a point) labelled with permanent marker. The ink lasts just long enough to harden off and plant out. Then I leave the markers in the sun to get rid of the rest of the ink to use for next year. As far as what plant is what, I draw a map (prior to planting), stick to the plan, and memorize it as soon as possible.

Tips for memorizing: every time you're watering, name the plant. So I had a chant last year with 5 or 6 kinds of peppers and 10 kinds of tomatoes. By the end of the season I could put the produce in the basket and still knew what plant it came from when I got to the kitchen ;)

My chant went as follows: "prudens purple; carbon; black cherry; green giant; siletz; marianna's; carbon; grushovka; lime green salad" see I still know it!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

petalfuzz wrote:
Duh_Vinci wrote:Old mini blinds and ball point pen - does last for entire year (permanent markers don't seem to last for me). Then I attach the tag to the cage at convenient level...

Regards,
D
I use old mini blinds (cut into the right length and into a point) labelled with permanent marker. The ink lasts just long enough to harden off and plant out. Then I leave the markers in the sun to get rid of the rest of the ink to use for next year. As far as what plant is what, I draw a map (prior to planting), stick to the plan, and memorize it as soon as possible.

Tips for memorizing: every time you're watering, name the plant. So I had a chant last year with 5 or 6 kinds of peppers and 10 kinds of tomatoes. By the end of the season I could put the produce in the basket and still knew what plant it came from when I got to the kitchen ;)

My chant went as follows: "prudens purple; carbon; black cherry; green giant; siletz; marianna's; carbon; grushovka; lime green salad" see I still know it!
I love your method Carolyn. I also like the old mini blind recycling method. At first, I had a problem with it because my memory was stuck on metal blinds then I finally got my brain in gear and remembered that mini blinds are made from plastic today. Easy to cut and easy to write on.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

How about a digital camera. It not only takes a photo map for you, it has the date also. You could also type text on the photo if you really want to get creative.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”