Decado
Green Thumb

Tomatoes getting too big?

I only planted them about 5 weeks ago, I uppotted them about 2 and a half weeks ago now they're already the size of tomatoes in a nursery mid may. My average last frost date is may 15th so is it possible these tomatoes might get too big and start flowering before I get them in the ground? Is there anything I can do to hold them back? I plan on getting some wall of waters but I can't afford 30 wall of waters.

On a side note, growing organically with the method described in teaming with microbes is FAR better than using synthetic fertilizers, this growth is crazily fast.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I hear ya I have tomatoe over 2 foot. I wouldn't try to slow them down too much that might hurt them. Mine are slowing down mainly because they are choked of light.

Good luck

GardenJester

take a chance, transplant them, and keep an eye on the weather forecast. If a possible frost comes, put a white plastic over the cages overnight, and hope it is enough. Last frost date is just a guideline. Thou one month early is kind of tempting fate, but it's doable.

you probably can improve your odds little by using clear plastic mulch to help raise the soil's temperature.

RyanDe680
Cool Member

Ironically, I have the same problem as you.

I'm at the point where the plants just do not fit under the lights anymore. I'll have them outside for a few days, as it will be in the mid 70s and low 80s, so that will help.

My garden is getting completely redone, so it's not ready yet. I'm working hard to get it complete this week, so I can get the lettuce, broccoli, etc in the ground....

Argh...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, well, judging by your last frost date and the amount of growth you have received in only 5 weeks, I'd say that you could very well start another batch today and have perfect seedlings by mid-May.

Now, I'm not saying to just cull all of your current plants. Grow both and if the big ones are too root-bound, you will at least have some lesser-developed ones to take their place.

Good luck.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”