wolfie

Mushroom Compost as Mulch?

Can I use mushroom compost as mulch and then turn it into the soil at seasons end?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I don't see why not.
I transplanted my African Violets in potting soil that I bought. I have mushrooms in every pot that I put that soil into. So, I got an accidental culture.
My point is: commercial potting soil sometimes has it in it.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

we're close to Chester County, PA which has a lot of mushroom growers.

we calling it 'mushroom soil' - mixed horse manure & straw - composted, used for mushroom cultivation, when 'worn out' sold off as mushroom soil.

it is very good stuff for digging in / improving the soil. haven't used it as mulch, don't see why not - should still have some nitrogen so you may want to cut back on fertilizing

Jbest

The mushroom growers don't want anybody taking home the mushroom compost and growing there own mushrooms. So they kill the mushroom spore with either chemicals or steam before it is sold. You may want to check with the grower before you use it. If they use chemicals, I would let it compost some more before I would use it. John

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes you can use it, but it wouldn't be a very good mulch, IMO. Weeds would love it, plant roots would grow upwards into it when wet and then die when it dried out, and it would tend to blow away when dry. Mulches tend to block light and leave an air space humidity zone between them and the soil, or if something like wood chips, create a nitrogen depeated surface layer that impedes shallow root grow of weeds.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

TZ is right on the particulars, but I too like a mulch that incorporates to soil and use compost (sometimes mine, sometimes purchased; depends on when and where) to mulch...

You do need to stay up on the weed patrol a little more, but my action hoe is fast and efficient; just a quick muddle of the surface and the littel weeds never had a chance. Just more greens mixing with my soil...

HG

Jbest

TZ -OH6 wrote:Yes you can use it, but it wouldn't be a very good mulch, IMO. Weeds would love it, plant roots would grow upwards into it when wet and then die when it dried out, and it would tend to blow away when dry. Mulches tend to block light and leave an air space humidity zone between them and the soil, or if something like wood chips, create a nitrogen depeated surface layer that impedes shallow root grow of weeds.
That has not been my experience. I applied 8000 lb of MM on a 20 X 70 garden every year for many years. If you put it on thick enough, weeds are nonexistent. John

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Mushroom compost is pretty depleted already, I guess. I was always worried about salt build-ups, but I guess John isn't, and he'd know after this long...

HG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”