ajijoe

what hot peppers are you growing this season??

hello all

I just tilled my garden and it cooled off again, I'm ready to explode!! LOL

I'm growing

PURIRA
AJI YELLOW
AJI OMNI COLOR
CHINESE 5 COLOR
ABOUT 10 SPECIES OF HABANERO
ABOUT 9 SPECIES OF AJI
CUMARI
CILI GORONONG
DATIL
RED SAVINA HAB
ISREAL HOT
PURPLE JALAPINO
THAI DRAGON
THAI BIRD
PIRI PIRI
WIRI WIRI
WILD BRAZIL
POINTCETIA
ABOUT 10 SPECIES OF ORNIMENTAL
CATARINA
CAJAMARCA

WHAT ARE YOU GROWING
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU

THANKS YOUR FRIEND JOE

applestar
Mod

Wow, I hope you'll stick around and let me ask some questions! :wink:
This is my first year trying to grow hot peppers. I already don't know what I'm going to do with them if and when they produce and I actually have harvest. (Yes, I'm counting my chickens :lol:)

Here's my modest list:
Jalapeno HL2 -- 2nd generation from a plant purchased from the local Herb Lady
Jalapeno M
Anaheim New Mexican
Tepin/Chiltepin
Czechoslovakian Black
Royal Black
Aji Dulce
Fish

Here's Jalapeno HL1 that have been successfully overwintering in my kitchen window, but is now being taken over by some apple seedlings from Pink Lady apples I planted in the pot:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6640.jpg[/img]

Halfway
Green Thumb

Hot Portugal (refusing to sprout, on the 3rd attempt)
Carib Habenero
Annaheim
Serrano (many plants)

All for salsa. So far so good under the lights. Except the Portugal of course....little boogers!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Fresh eating/salad peppers

Romanian Rainbow -sweet
Aldi's grocery store small orange- sweet
Siviri biber
Etkezi Paprika

Seasoning peppers

Ancho 101
Guajillo
Pasilla bajio
Chimayo
Big Jim

Hot Peppers

Orange Habs
Cumari/yellow jelly bean
Bolivian Rainbow (ornamental)
Bulgarian carrot
NUMEX Baileys pequin
Brazilian Starfish
Cayenne
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Tabasco

Perslane

Wow, you all have some awesome one's going. I'm not a huge pepper fan but my mother in law is, so I'm growing her serrano and jalapeno, and a poblano for me.

Where did you get the Aji seeds from, very very interested in that?

dan1003

I'm impressed with the variety being grown. I'm simple:

Hungarian Paprika
Keystone Resistant Giant Bell
Long Red Cayenne

tedln
Super Green Thumb

My garden is primarily dedicated to tomatoes, but I am growing some jalapenos and habeneros along with some bell peppers. I want to grow some Bhut Jalokia, but couldn't get the seed.

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am a wimp especially about hot peppers, I love the pepper flavor but too wimpy for the heat!
I am growing:
Yolo wonder bell peppers
Anaheim Chili
Pimento pepper
Paprika pepper
Cubanelle pepper
Numex Big Jim
Joe E Parker
Poblano
Pepperoncini
Sweet Banana
California Wonder bell
Grand Bell Mix

Halfway
Green Thumb

tedln wrote:My garden is primarily dedicated to tomatoes, but I am growing some jalapenos and habeneros along with some bell peppers. I want to grow some Bhut Jalokia, but couldn't get the seed.

Ted
Would love to get my hands (gloved) on those Bhuts as well.

May need to order the asbestos suit first.

:)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I like good flavor so you won't find anything very hot in my garden like, Habenero, Tabasco, Cayenne or any other fire hot peppers.

I plant mild chili peppers to make my own chili powder.

I plant some other mild peppers about 2 plants thats all.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Heat doesn't correlate negatively to flavor. Orange Habaneros have a very intense flavor, as do the ulta hot Bhut Jolokias. It is only in some of the hot ones that you can find some of the intense citrussy flavors. Unfortunately you have to develop a heat tolerance before you can enjoy most of these. Althoug, there are some heat-less seasoning Habs such as Trinidad perfume and Tobago seasoning.

Even cayenne has a decent flavor when compared to some of the equally hot ornamentals, but if you subtitue something like dried crushed Hot Lemon/lemon drop you will get a stronger and totally differnt flavor.

Someone once described the flavor of Cumari (habanero heat level) as similar to fruit loops.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've hear that the bhut jolokias can give your 2nd. degree burns in your mouth. I don't know how true this is, but I'm sure it's and indicator of how hot the peppers are. Hopefully mine grow and I get at lest one, if just for the seeds. Those seeds can be pretty expensive.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I bought a bunch of peppers at a yard sale, they were so pretty. I was clueless of the heat of them, as I had never seen any like them.

I carefully roasted them, let them cool, and was peacefully pulling the peels off of them, and stuffing them with cheese, to broil them for dinner.

I suddenly noticed that my fingers were getting blisters on them, I assumed that I was not cooling them long enough, so I waited from then on until the peppers were totally cool, then peeled them. The skin got so bad that I had standing blisters on my hands.

I was still blaming the heat from the roasting and not the peppers.
I stuffed them, and grilled one huge pan of them, and had several more to make up... we were going to feast on stuffed peppers.

My husband came through the kitchen and sneaked one. It was only a half pepper, stuffed high with melted cheese. And so small, just bite sized. He stuck the whole thing into his mouth. He bit down, and actually lost his breath. He turned so many colors... I still laugh at the memory.

Nothing stopped the burn in his mouth. He finally could breath but the pain would not stop. I finally asked around about the peppers.

They were golden haberneros.

I have talked to others who also got blisters on their hands from processing peppers. Why would you want to eat something that blisters your hands?
Citrus flavor, have you ever heard of oranges, grapefruit, lemon, limes? They don't burn your fingers, although the citrus oil in the peel can be a bit hot.
Hey, I don't drink coffee, so I am not fond of hot drinks much at all, once in a great while I will drink hot tea, or hot chocolate, maybe once or twice a year. I wonder if folks who like hot coffee also like hotter foods? I see my husband sipping on coffee that I know is nearly boiling. And he does eat alot hotter foods than I do.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The chemicals in peppers do not damage tissue, they activate the specific nerve receptors that indicate heat/pain. Activating alot of these can cause such stress that there are dangerous systemic effects to a body, but in order to have local effects (blisters) you pretty much have to put the refined chemical onto the tissue. This is why pepper spray is legal, and why you can desensitize the nerve receptors to the heat. The most dangerous thing you can do is clean a bunch of hot peppers bare handed because of the latent systemic effects. Most hospital cases are for "hunan hand".

If you want to see some good videos of a guy eating Bhuts and other hot peppers go to YouTube and look up HippySeedCompany. He seriously reviews peppers and hot sauces, unlike most people who are just making videos of drunken bets. However, my favorite video is of the three women (mother daughter and friend), who have a habanero eating contest that degrades into a milk drinking contest. They should have eaten the yogurt first to coat their mouth and stomachs.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My wife tells me pain is not a flavor.

I grew to many last year and still have tons of them canned so I will just grow a few kinds this year. Simi hot peppers are good on the barbie.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

oh, lets see here...

Hot peppers

Purple Cayenne
Slim Cayenne
Regular Cayenne
Wax
Bischops Crown
Orange Hab
Orange Thai'
Starfish pepper
Joes Round
Tabasco
Red Chili's (not sure what they are)

Mild peppers

Fushimi
Aji Dulce
Red Marconi
Sante Fe
Orange Bell
Red Bell
Yolo Bell
Yelle Belle
Albatross
King of the north
California Bell
Poblano
Anaheim
Tequila Sunrise
Banana
Anaconquia pepper (SP?)
Pasilla

And everything else I can't think of. Good luck to everyone this season!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I learned about hot peppers early. In the fourth grade, my teacher received a beautiful "Christmas" pepper plant with tiny little red peppers all over it. She placed the plant in the window sill. On a return trip to my desk after handing in a paper, I "snuck" one of the tiny peppers and proceeded to eat it. I was in total and complete agony for the remainder of the class. I couldn't scream, I couldn't yell for help, I couldn't do anything except suffer without the teacher finding out what I had done to her plant.

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have a question!

I have noticed that as the season proceeds, what was a wonderfully mild tasty pepper, starts getting hotter, and by seasons end it is not edible. I am talking sweet banana and Anaheim here.

Is this caused by drought or just the way peppers grow?
It can't cross breed, I don't grow hot peppers. Because those are too hot for me, late in the season. So, early are fresh eating, late are seed saving, trash, or save for really hot stuff. Mostly trash can.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes to both, if you keep them watered well they will not get as hot.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I'm in a funny situation, where I'm moving to a farm on a north-face in the hills, and may have a limited pepper return, but people are urging me to sell them hot sauce...gonna have to make friends with someone farming a warmer local microclimate, perhaps. will try thai red, goathorn hots, and good ol' habanero there this year anyway, just to see. the bolivian rainbows don't seem to have germinated.

and agreed, heat is only one aspect of the flavors going on in a hot pepper. viva.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I planted some Jalapeno peppers once about 28 years ago. I had 2 plants with probably 50+ peppers on each plant. I hand picked the peppers and took them to the kitchen. My fingers were starting to hurt for some odd reason but I couldn't figure out why. I started putting the peppers in the kitchen blender and I ground them up into what looked like a green milk shake. I poured the green thick liquid into pint jars and screwed on the metal lids. My fingers were starting to hurt very very bad still I couldn't figure out why until I stuck my finger in my mouth. My fingers were so hot it burned my mouth. I soaked my fingers in water for 20 minutes and it was not helping at all. I mixed about 1/4 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of water and soaked some cotton gloves in the mixture. I put the wet baking soda gloves on both hands and it took about 2 hours before the hurting started to get better. About 6 hours later I took the gloves off the hurting was almost gone. Next morning I went to work and about lunch time all the skin my all my fingers, both hands pealed completely off. My fingers were blood red about 2 layers of skin was gone and my fingers were so sensitive and sore I couldn't touch anything. The doctor said it was the hot peppers but I already had that figured out. The doctor said I did the right thing by using baking soda to get rid of the acid but I should have wore rubber gloves to begin with. The skin grew back and I never picked hot peppers again without rubber gloves. About 4 weeks later I noticed the glass mason jars that I had put the green hot pepper juice in no longer had metal lids. The metal was totally gone the acid in the peppers ate them off. You can't tell me it doesn't hurt your stomach. I love hot peppers but I don't eat them that hot anymore my stomach is not as tough as it once was.

An Oriental lady give me a hot pepper plant it grew tiny little multi color peppers that were purple, orange, blue, red, etc. about 1/2" long by 1/2" diameter. Wow they were FIRE HOT. I put one hot pepper in a pot of chili and it was too hot. Each pepper plant has a different type of acid that makes it hot and it was the type of hot I did not like so I never grew any more of them. I discovered by accident that hot peppers make excellent tear gas. I threw the old plant in a fire that fall and standing down wind of the smoke it chokes me nearly to death. I coughed for 45 minutes after getting away from the smoke.
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I watched the you tube videos of people eating various hot peppers.

I think of enjoyment of a food to lead to smiles, think ice cream cone... I saw pain, I saw red faces,

I saw no one who seemed to say...
Oh wow, what some delightful undertones to this taste sensation! :lol:

At the very least you would think they would enjoy them like a wine tasting, where they smell them, sip and then try a bit more...

Nope... it looked like torture to me!

Okay, come on, all you hot pepper lovers, show us your video where you are enjoying these peppers, and not suffering! ha ha

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Since you guys told some stories I have to tell one of mine. My Dad, a few years back decided to plant some pepper plants at his place. However he had no idea about different varieties. He ended up getting a few bell plants. Or did he, haha I believe one of the plants was mislabeled however. Toward the middle / end of the season he noticed one plant growing nice little cute orange peppers on them (habs). He decided he wanted to try one of these, he picked on off the plant and placed the whole thing in his mouth. Again he had no clue it was hot, none. I of course was not their at the time. He told me he felt he needed to go to the hospital. Anyway I asked him, I hope you swished some milk in your mouth, he told me he used just water. I'm thinking oh man you sat there enduring that pain with just water, haha. Anyway that is the last time he grew any peppers.

But about how you use them, its not that we like a ton of heat or anything. But when you make certain sauces with the peppers, you add it to your dishes in moderation and you get this smokey flavor, I really like it. some people just don't like heat though, which I understand. Nobody likes intense heat though and that is the truth. You just have to know how to use them. Also there are varieties out there were you can get the fruitiness of a hab that has absolutely no heat, its great.

ajijoe

tedln wrote:I learned about hot peppers early. In the fourth grade, my teacher received a beautiful "Christmas" pepper plant with tiny little red peppers all over it. She placed the plant in the window sill. On a return trip to my desk after handing in a paper, I "snuck" one of the tiny peppers and proceeded to eat it. I was in total and complete agony for the remainder of the class. I couldn't scream, I couldn't yell for help, I couldn't do anything except suffer without the teacher finding out what I had done to her plant.

Ted
I have a similar story

I have a friend who was born in guyana, he was with his mom in the marketplace and stole a "weri weri" pepper thinking it was a gumball

all he could say was it wasnt a gumball and his mom laughed at him and told him that will learn ya!!

good story very funy thanks your friend AJIJOE :lol: :lol:

jmoore

I tried orange bell pepper and jalapeno last year. The bells were a total bust. I got a few jalapenos at the end of the season.

This year I'm trying jalapeno (again), macho nacho (big jalapeno) and cow horn peppers. They went in this week. They perked up nicely with some water and appear to be doing OK so far. Lord knows if they will produce. Fingers crossed.

barbelle

This is my first attempt at a garden. I am trying:

Habanero...already have one flowering and a pepper coming out!!
Jalapeno
Serrano
and
Cayenne

Wish me luck! :D

jmoore

This is an old joke but very appropos for this thread. Kinda long but funny if you haven't seen it before. (mild language warning)

Frank:
"Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili
cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I
happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for
directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was
assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili
wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free
beer during the tasting, so I accepted".
Here are the scorecards from the advent: (Frank is Judge #3)

Chili # 1 Eddie's Maniac Monster Chili...
Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 -- (Frank) Holy junk, what the he!! is this stuff? You
could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put
the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

Chili # 2 Austin's Afterburner Chili...
Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm
supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer
when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Ronny's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili...
Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.
Judge # 2 -- A bean less chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels
like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now.
Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now
my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting junk- faced
from all of the beer...

Chili # 4 Dave's Black Magic...
Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or
other mild foods, not much of a chili..
Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable
to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was
standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb woman is starting
to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an
aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Lisa's Legal Lip Remover...
Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground,
adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must
admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead
and I can no longer focus my eyes. I think I broke wind-four people
behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if
I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges
asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.

Chili # 6 Pam's Very Vegetarian Variety...
Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic.
Superb.
Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous
sulphuric flames. I greased my shorts when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except Sally and that damn golden retriever. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone. Oh no, the damn dog ate some of that stuff.

Chili # 7 Carla's Screaming Sensation Chili...
Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of
chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am
worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as
he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I
wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds
like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili which slid
unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of a smoldering substance
that matches the color of my shirt and my belly button is sticking out
so far it looks like it's trying to escape. At least during the autopsy,
they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing-it's too
painful.
Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck
it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach. Oh great!! Now the dog is
doing butt-scoots across the grass he's in so much pain.

Chili # 8 Karen's Toenail Curling Chili...
Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too
bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild
nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted,
passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down
on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor fella,
wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?
Would someone use the fire extinguisher on the dog?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Poor judge #3 and dog!

And the moral of the story is: Be careful what you volunteer for!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”