gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Lettuce not going anywhere?

I planted seed about 3 weeks ago it has come up maybe a week or to ago. Since than it hasn't grown much at all.

I have lightly fertilized with some good stuff can't remember the numbers right now (it is Dr Earth brand). I have been keeping ti watered for the most part, we have had a lot of rain and don't want to over water.

Another thing to note is that it has been unseasonably warm here, like upper 80's. Though it has cooled off a bit lately. Still the lettuce that has come up is still very small, like pinky nail sized leaflets or smaller. I don't get it, lettuce should grow fast I thought but this is just barely moving.

Another thing to note is that this area may be a bit more fungal do to the mass of leaves still in the ground.

Any ideas I miss my salads. :cry:

applestar
Mod

I think it could be the heat. In the future, try providing shade when official temp is much over 80ºF because it's probably near 100ºF in the sun OR water more. During the heatwave, for the ones that weren't conveniently located to rig shades, I tossed some loose straw over them.

Fungal, you say? Lettuce prefers limey soil, so pH might be a bit too low. I've been using crushed oyster shells from the feed store. Last year, I mixed it into the soil as well as put a circle of it around the plants to hopefully deter the @#&W$%slugs. I've run out this year. I have to go get more.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I guess I could try to adjust the ph I should really test first though. I do have some garden lime.

As for shade they get sun for a short bit in the morning than shade till about noonish, that is why I picked this place for lettuce. I have been trying to keep it moist they just won't grow. I also have onions and garlic in this area that are doing fine. What really gets me is not even the Chard is coming up.

I will test the soil tommorow and see what I come up with.

thanks AS

applestar
Mod

We're doing the same sort of planning and scheming right now. :wink:

On the whole, I think lettuce does better with morning and late day sun with noonish shade, or early morning~noon/1PM sun with shade in the afternoon when it's hottest.

The sun/shade pattern in the garden is rapidly changing now. I have a spot earmarked for hot peppers that are still kind of shady but I KNOW will get almost all day sun a month from now.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”