PattyN

Found one grub - should I look for others?

Upon pulling up a chard that had mildew, I discovered a grub (white, curled in a circle, that's a grub, right?) underneath. Should I be concerned that there might be others and dig around to find out, or just not worry about it?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hate to tell you this but if you found one there are probably many more.

I just found a bunch in my yard, we have bad grubs out here.

Sorry to tell you but yes there are more, oh and I hate grubs thank you very much. :x

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>> or just not worry about it?

that's the easiest. [g] there are umpteen hundredsofthousands of insects that go through a grub stage - so "grub of what?" is the first question

grubs typically feed on underground organic matter. now.... if their tastes run to _dead_ organic matter, not too much of a problem. but if their tastes run to live organic matter - read: the roots of your plants - that can cause issues - nice plant on top, falls over dead because the roots have been eaten.

depending on the time of year, you can't dig too far in any direction without finding a grub, or dozens.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I detest white grubs, and I've never met one that produced an insect helpful to ones gardening efforts. To this day, I've never been able to eat those little salad shrimp, because of the similarity to the disgusting white grubs that I found as I helped my grandmother in her garden. :roll:

Depending on the part of CA in which you're located (North? South? Elsewhere?) you may want to contact your nearest Extension Service office for help in gaining a specific ID on the critter you have. I'd be buying some of the wasps that prey on these things, and/or applying the appropriate type of BT to my property.

https://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/biocontrolturf.html

https://turf.lib.msu.edu/2000s/2007/070326.pdf

If you don't want to download the pdf, you can Google organic control of white grubs, locate the link (it'll be one of the first few to come up), then click on Quick View. It'll come up on Google docs.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Around here those white circular grubs are larvae of Japanese beetles and they are a big pest. And gixx is right, they don't come in ones, if you have that one, you almost certainly have more.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Around here those white circular grubs are larvae of Japanese beetles and they are a big pest. And gixx is right, they don't come in ones, if you have that one, you almost certainly have more.
more, he said more! Where are they :D We like grubs!

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02042.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02046.jpg[/img]

and you get fertilizer too.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Over here in the UK the major grub pest is Vine Weevel.
The adult is not the problem as all they do is nibble half moon pieces out of the plants leaves....the little grubs though are a different matter.
They feast away on the roots of many plants especially pot grown plants like polyanthus and fuchsias, with a great liking for strawberries as well.
Is Vine Weevel one of your ' bug beares ' too?
Getting rid of the little blighters is very difficult as the only way other than chemical is by catching the adult beetle at night with a torch and useing the size 10's as a method of dispatch.

Jona

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That sounds like what we in the PNW know as root weevils. They are a pest on rhododendrons. In the old days, we were told to spray the rhodies in June. I can't remember what pesticide was recommended, as I never have sprayed any of my rhodies with anything other than water. And yes, all the lowere leaves have little notches cut out of the edges. :lol:

Now, however, there are safe, natural treatments that can be used, including certain species of nematodes. :)

https://www.pesticide.org/pubs/alts/rootweevils/rootweevils.html

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Sounds like the same beastie Kisal.
We use nematodes on them over here too. There is a chemical treartment usually applied to the soil before potting up in ornamentals but is not safe on food crops.
There are a couple of treatments available but it remains a serious pest for strawberry growers over here.
In days gone by we had super control with aldrin but that is banned now.

Jona.

PattyN

Thanks everyone. It was right under the root ball, so I thought that might be a bad sign. I think I will do some research (thanks for the links, Kisal) so that I am prepared before I start poking - I am dying to know if there are more.

About the shrimp thing - I agree, that's a difficult visual to ignore :shock: .

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I read that almost all gardens have them, and if there is just a small number-it is not a big deal, like with any bugs.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I was talking a bout the mass amount of worms I have a little bit ago. :mrgreen:

Now everytime I plant something or work in the garden I find more grubs. :twisted:

I may have to get me some handy dandy nematodes. :idea:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”