mickyjune26
Newly Registered

Identify plants growing in compost pile? :D

We have a compost pile going through its last stages of turning into dirt. Apparently, it's further along that we thought! We have two onion plants growing and a bunch of the plants below. We eat so many different types of veggies and fruits, we don't know what kind of plant it is. It doesn't seem to be weeds, because we don't have that shape anywhere else in the yard.

Any ideas?

https://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/mickyjune26/100_2414.jpg

Thanks a lot! This will help us know if we need to pull them out, or just let our compost naturally act as our secondary garden! :D

mikus

I'm new to gardening this year so please do not quote me on this but I did grow my plants form seeds. it looks like it could be cucumbers, but I think my cantaloupe, watermelon, and squash plants all looked like that as well in the seedling stage.

did any of these types of fruits/vegetables get put into your compost pile that u know of, that could be the seeds growing?

GardenJester

looks like some kind of squash, zucinni or cucumber.

mickyjune26
Newly Registered

yes, we have put cucumbers, squash, and cantelope in our compost either as extra or if a plant went bad. All the compost is from last year's mixture of scraps, grass, leaves and dirt from our backyard.

I really hope these turn out. We didn't plant any of these items in our standard 8 x 8 garden!!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

mickyjune26,

You need to remember that if any of these you have mentioned are hybrids, it's hard to say what you will end up with. Hybrids don't breed true.

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Just yesterday I had to yank out a big bunch of pepper seedlings that started from some compost I mixed in with my potted plants. I think I had better success with the seeds that started in the compost pile than I did with my starter cells this year. I found what I'm guessing was an acorn squash sprouting in the compost bin a week ago. The stem was like a foot long growing to find some light.
Poor little guys trying so hard to grow and I just yank them out. :(

dmcness

my guess would be squash because it reminds me of the butternut squash that I grew the last 2 years

mickyjune26
Newly Registered

DoubleDogFarm wrote:mickyjune26,

You need to remember that if any of these you have mentioned are hybrids, it's hard to say what you will end up with. Hybrids don't breed true.
All the seeds in pile are from store-bought, non-organic vegetables / fruits. Does this mean that they probably won't provide good vegetables / fruit since they may be hybrids?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It could be something you grew last year or kitchen vegatable scraps that grew. It is a little bit early to tell but in a few more weeks it will be easier. It looks a little bit like a melon to me but which one, maybe its a cucumber, pumpkin or squash.

I have a lot of tomatoes coming up in my compost but the problem is, what type tomatoe is it, Roma, Beefsteak, Brandywine, Better Boy, Jet Star or one of the others I planted last summer???

I like to know what I am growing so I bought tomato plants yesterday.

soil
Greener Thumb

theres only one way to find out for sure :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”