Binkalette

What happened?!

It was 52 degrees Fahrenheit out today and very sunny, but quite windy. Anyway I had the bright idea that I'd move my seedlings outside for an hour or two to help them get used to being out. They have been growing wonderfully in my south facing patio window that gets 9+ hours of unshaded sun on them.. So, when I moved them out today, I put them on the porch, sheltered from most of the wind and behind the railing so they would get -some- direct sun. I went back out after less than half an hour and my two pumpkin vines that have grown out the top of the container (they are about 8" long) had their last leaf (the one that is OUT of the container) completely wilted as if they hadn't been watered in ages! I brought the containers back in then and put them back in front of the window, one of the pumpkin leaves came back perfectly, the other has come back a bit but looks damaged.

What happened?!

The damaged leaf:
[img]https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l208/Binkalette/IMG_1752.jpg[/img]

And a healthy leaf farther down on the same plant:
[img]https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l208/Binkalette/IMG_1753.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Windy was the key word in there. Wind is very desiccating, particularly to tender, not yet hardened off plants. Maybe try misting the leaves. But they should come back anyway. Just try giving them a little more gentle start next time. :)

Binkalette

Hmm.. okay so the wind did it. How will I know when they are ready to stand up to the wind? I've had a fan blow on them for a few hours every couple of days.. do I need to do that more often? Will that even help?

Thanks for the reply btw. :)

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Man am I familiar with the wind here in South Dakota. Its hard to harden anything off when its gusting over 30, which happens so much in the spring. I'm sure up in MN it gets quite windy as well. Anyway, yes it was the wind that made the plants go limp. Since they have been inside like rainbow gardener stated the leaves are very tender. No big deal, just bring them in and they will perk right back up. You could build a cold frame and harden them off slowing by removing the lid periodically, or just bring them outside a few mins (starting off) each day.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”