Dixana
Greener Thumb

Best veggies for a roof garden?

I've been pretty frustrated with the realization that I don't have nearly enough room for my plants this year.....until I read about someone using a roof!!! We have a 15x20 flat part of our roof right outside my office! So I've decided I'm going to put some plants up there!
A few things I need to know though....What grows best in 5 gallon buckets? (I can get tons of them free but would consider buying larger containers) AND since our roof is dark it is probably going to be substantially warmer up there then my in ground plants, especially since there will be sun up there from 5am til 7 or 8 at night.
I am planning on doing beans, peas, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers. What would do best up there?
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

The office is in my house so I don't think the boss will say much ;)
I didn't consider the added weight on the roof though...will have to talk to the hubby about that one.
Not everything is going on the roof as we have a regular garden in the back yard, it just doesn't have as much space as I would like.
Are there some plants that like it warmer/hot? I have pear and grape tomatoes as well as bell peppers started in the house. Would they do good in 5 gallon buckets and in a sunny roof environment?

GardenJester

is that part of roof originaly designed to be a patio of some sort? If It wasn't, I wouldn't recommand it because it's not likely to be reinforced to bear any excess weight.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I have no idea what it's original purpose was, but it used to have a railing and the previous owner had grilling parties up there. There is a door that goes out there fro my office too as I mentioned earlier so I would GUESS it's gonna be ok? Like I said I'll have to talk to my hubby.

GardenJester

oh yeah... that sound like a roof patio, you should have no problem.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Well the hubby says there shouldn't be a problem with plants on the roof, so now I just need to decide whats going up there

applestar
Mod

peas, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers.
I think peas might find it too hot unless you want to try growing them extra-early (which may be NOW for you).

Definitely sweet peppers and hot peppers. Tomatoes need 5 gal or more, so maybe stick with smaller determinate or container variety toms.

I think zucchini and yellow squash would need a 1/2 wine barrel size container per plant.

Not on your list but other suggestions would be bush beans and herbs, maybe strawberries. Pole beans if you "plant" stakes in 2 or more buckets and secure a top cross piece and trellis (string would work) between them.

For fun, they say you could grow corn if you put one plant in each 5 gal bucket and set out 10~16 buckets in a block. But this is beyond my experience. :wink:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

So I've decided on the peppers and strawberries for the roof...I know strawberries weren't on the list but I can get 25 plants from spring hill for the 8 bucks to ship em (yay for special customer coupons!)
So off to call the SIL to get more buckets and cow poo :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”