shaefins

Soaker hoses?

Raised garden bed w/ 14 inches of soil mix. How deep do I put a soaker hose? Or do I just wind it around the box on top of the soil mix?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

being especially lazy, I put mine on top and cover with mulch . . .

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Some gardeners lay the soaker hose on top of the planting surface with the holes pointing DOWN. That way, the soil receives the water and the leaves stay as dry as possible.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tedln
Super Green Thumb

When you say "soaker hose", I think you mean the recycyled, compressed; rubber hoses that exude water around the entire circumference instead of the flat type with holes on one side. If I am right, I am using them in five raised beds. The instructions say to bury them about one inch deep. I have some buried and some only partially buried. I always make sure I have enough exposed to be able to look at it and see if water is coming from the hose. I have all my hoses hooked to a single buried main line. I put orifice limiters (sometimes called flow disc's) in each hose fitting to give more water to some beds and less to others. Sometimes, the limiters get a small piece of trash which blocks the orifice and no water gets to the bed.

Ted
Last edited by tedln on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Good point, tedln; I had in mind only the flat type! :oops: Thank you.

Cynthia

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Cynthia,

After all the times you have helped me, it was the least I could do. :lol:

Ted

shaefins

Thank you both! Ted was right though - it's the kind that puts out water all over the hose. Will follow your advice - thank you!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”