gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What is the budding stage of things around you?

Just wondering what everything is like where you all are at. I see people with snow and some just now with trees budding and others that have summer type crops in the ground.

It has been warm here things have been popping up out of the ground for weeks and here lately the trees have gone into hyperdrive. Most of the flowering trees are in full bloom and some even passing the bloom stage up and putting leaves out. My lilies out front are getting huge already as well as many other annuals. My willows are starting to fill in and the grass has already been through a bogging down mow. I am so anxious to get my mators and others in the ground but I try to stop myself.

What a beautiful day today again into the mid 70's. I would be so happy to hear for sure there will be no more frost. The ground has warmed up somewhat a few weeks ago it was 45-50 in the ground. After a few weeks of warm to hot temps I'm sure it is warmer now.

Sorry I'm rambling I'm just uncontrollably ready to get serious with my planting. Maybe than I can calm down a bit and wait, yeah right I don't do waiting very good.

So what's it like by you all?

Dono

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Well, I think that the weather is unseasonably warm in VA, at least in my area. It almost hit 90 this afternoon (as long as thermometer does not lie)

Gorgeous indeed, everything is alive! Day lilies are getting thick, all the roses are covered in foliage! Wild daffodils are in the forest path (just below my property) are in full bloom for 2 weeks now (yellow) and in about 2 weeks - the wild white daffodils should be out in the same place. Every time the wind blows my way - unmistakable smell of honey from literally a filed of daffodils!

All of the fruits trees are with leafs, and most of them started to bloom, some as early as 2 weeks ago:

Pears:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010pear0327/820537618_4zDY2-XL.jpg[/img]

Nectarines:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010peach0327/820537551_8yn2r-XL.jpg[/img]

It certainly feels like spring, just warmer! Though looks like in about a week - we are back in the 70's, more like it should be! I remember last year, first tomatoes did not go in the ground until 2nd week in May, first basket varieties I set outside permanently at the first week of May (and frost 3 days later - needless to say, moved them to garage for the night).

Now - 10 tubs with tomatoes are next to garage, some blooming already. Rutgers went directly into the ground about a week ago, blooming. Built 3 more raised beds, still have to amend and re-do few more, and build 4 more for the lower garden (canning/pickling veggies)

Moved all the seedlings outside about a week ago, and tonight will be a 3d night they will stay outside (warm enough)!

Not sure how to take this weather, will there be a surprise?

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I sure hope there is not a surprise but I would like spring to come back it got to upper 80's today with a thunderstorm coming in as we speak.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I'm actually totally disgusted with the weather here in east central WI. It's been unseasonably warm for us and DRY. Normally we would just now be putting up our snowmobile gear for the year but instead they've been "summerized" for a month and I've got garden fever so darn bad I planted my tomatoe seeds too early and am going to be forced to up pot them a third time before they go in the ground...
Last tues night it was 28 degrees and thurs afternoon it hit 83!!! The tulips and all kinds of flowers are up, the trees are budding and now the weather is supposed to plummet back to normal so they should get some nice shocking frost any day now BAH
The only bonus is that we're land scaping the front this year so I have more time to choose plants and get everything dug out

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”