DominiqueB
Newly Registered

What should I do with my radishes?

Hi, Can anyone tell me what I should do with my radishes? I have grown some from seed in little self-degrading pots and they are ready to plant out. I was going to plant them in a fairly large tub but should they go directly into the ground and do they prefer sun or shade? Also How will I know when they are ready to harvest? :?:
Hope someone can help
Dominique 8)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Dom

Radishes like full sun and you can tell when they are ready to harvest because you will see the little roots starting to swell out of the soil. Though, the sure fire way it to pull one or two out in August to check to see if they are ready.

lovetogarden

What kind of radishes did you plant? If they are in small pots and are a small variety, they can probably stay in the pots until you are ready to harvest.

I ususally just direct sow my radishes and they do fine. Its a lot of work to plant a radish seed in a pot and then later on plant it in the ground for one radish. Expecially since they take less than a month to mature. I would save those seed starting pots for items like peppers and tomatoes.

Ironman1079

no need to transplant radishes, only take 4 weeks to harvest.

throw seeds in soil garden and cover with dirt.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Interesting, where do you live Ironman? Here they take a few months to get going.

Ironman1079

opabinia51 wrote:Interesting, where do you live Ironman? Here they take a few months to get going.
new york

dianabauman

I harvested my radishes about a week ago. They also only took about four weeks. They were delicious!! :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”