Joshua

Multiplying my existing raspberries

I have a row of everberring raspberries that are several years old.
Each of the plants have 3-7 stocks/stems that have been cut/pruned earlier this spring to about 4 inches above the soil.
I want to create a second and possibly third row of raspberries.
How should I go about this?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My wild raspberries are not everbearing, and they only bear on last years growth, so if I pruned like that I would get no fruit at all.

I let them grow long, then I just take the new growth, and bend it, gently until it strikes the ground, since they are often much taller than I am, it isn't difficult at all. When it strikes the ground, I simply lay a rock over it to keep it in contact with the soil. It will root, then I let it winter there for one year, and the next year, I can cut it free, and move it where I want it to be. The soil it is in contact with can be a pot, but I find that it is not winter hardy unless I bury the pot in the soil.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just dig up some of the canes and move them over to the new row. Raspberries are shallow rooted and transplant very well. It is easy to propagate them.

Each year raspberries will send up some new shoots. You can also transplant these new shoots when they get about a foot tall.

Zapatay

"transplate the new shoots"

Simply cut the new shoots - 4 inches above the ground - and then replant the branch? Or perhaps soak in water and allow to root?

How does that work?

Joshua

Were I have 5 canes/stems coming out of 1 spot/plant, can I simply cut into the roots separating the canes, use a rooting hormone (if needed), and plant in a new row. Potentially making 5 new plants out of the 1 plant?

Also, is it possible to cut the canes (into pieces maybe 6â€

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pick on a shoot you want to transplant and take your shovel and just dig it up with roots attached. Go dig another hole to put it in and plant it.

I don't know about rooting cuttings. I've never tried that. It is just too easy to simply move a shoot or cane.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Layering is shown here, but there are many ways to multiply your raspberries. I even found where you can cut up the pieces and start them that way too. I am sure if I had looked farther, I would have found all the other recommendations also. Take your pick, or try several ways.

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-1.pdf

Around here they are a weed, and it is more often asked, how do I kill these out and not have them spreading all the time!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Joshua,

I'm growing "Heritage" raspberries, everbearing variety. Like jal_ut said, they come up all around the parent plant. Some as far as 3 to 4ft away. Easy to sever off and move. You could pull up the parent plant and divide, but you may set back the established plants.

Take a gander at my raspberries :lol:

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/IMG_3300.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Eric, love your picture. I just planted some Heritage 2 weeks ago. Anxious to see how they do here. Yours sure look great.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

jal-ut,

The photo was from a couple years ago. All my cane fruit were running diagonal to the fence and made it hard to walk through the rows. I pulled up everything and reoriented. Much better, but needs time to recupe

applestar
Mod

You're reminding me that I have to trellis my raspberries -- Kiwi Gold everbearing. Planted fall of '08, tiny harvest last year, but is taking off with several new canes this spring. :D

I had some Botrytis issues later in the fall so I'll have to be extra vigilant this year.

Not raspberries, but my thornless Triple Crown blackberries are trying to escape the designated area. Some canes have arched over and touched ground and have rooted. I cut off and dug up one of the ends yesterday and it already had a pretty hefty root mass (about 8" across). I planted it in my 2nd choice location along the fence that is a bit shaded. I think I'll dig up the rest of the fugitives and just make a new row of blackberries. (Maybe the catbirds will stick to those 8))

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I am also going to be planting Heritage on the weekend. How many years do you let them grow before you can divide a plant? Can't wait to see how they do in the years to come...

Eric those are some very nice plants there! =)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Nick,

You could probably sever some side shoots the second year. With loose compost soil mix, daughter plants will pop up 2ft to 3ft away.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Oh okay, thanks for the info Eric. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”