TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Garden plant tags

One of the best tips I ever found was something someone used for marking tomato plants, but it works for just about anything in the garden. Colored flagging tape (any hardware store) and a black sharpie marker for the name of my vegetables. I tie it onto cages, stakes, and trellises. For marking row vegetables I tie the flags onto small sticks that I either pick up from the yard or cut from brush. This also helps identify the location of small plants surrounded by heavy mulch early in the season. I have tied them onto the plants themselves but the flags tend to get covered up by leaves quickly.

Although I have never had really bad fading of the marker I put the name on both sides of the tape just in case. I like the pink tape. It is a bit more cheerful than "warning orange". I suppose if you could score some "police line" or Biohazard tape it might keep the neighbors from raiding your garden... Won't work for illiterate deer though.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Thank you, that is a very cool idea.

I seem to always lose tags, and find them the next spring. So, more than one method is always the best bet for me!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”