tedln
Super Green Thumb

My veggies popped out the ground today.

I planted my Green Beans (yard long), cucumbers, and yellow squash on March 23. All three started popping out of the soil today. Not quite nine days after they were planted. All conditions have been optimal with slowly warming days and cool nights. I have only been hand sprinkling the beds in the evening because it has been so windy that the surface dries while one inch down the soil is very moist. I haven't been trying to water them, only keep the top soft to make it easier for them to break through.

I also had three extra flats of the six cell, cell packs of some of the hybrid tomatoes I bought. I kept them in case any of my heirloom varieties bite the dust and I need to fill some holes with a plant. I was getting a little tired of watering them constantly but I wanted to keep the insurance. I planted the entire cell packs in the garden today so they can water themselves. They are all about 18" tall and thriving with thick stems even in the cells. Plants amaze me.

I wanted to check my soil temp to record the temp. at which my veggies germinated, but I can't locate my soil thermometer so I guess I will buy another tomorrow. We are supposed to have some severe thunderstorms tomorrow so I will have to do it before it rains and the soil temp changes.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How exciting. You have warm weather crops coming up and we have 12 inches of fresh snow. I plant cukes on June 1. You will have a harvest before I get mine planted. Pretty funny.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:How exciting. You have warm weather crops coming up and we have 12 inches of fresh snow. I plant cukes on June 1. You will have a harvest before I get mine planted. Pretty funny.
That may be true, but just about the time you start harvesting; my garden will be going into dormancy from the heat. I will still be harvesting a little, but things like lettuce and most of my tomatoes will only be a fond memory. I will spend most of my time under the air conditioner watching baseball and working on the stack of books I want to read. I will only venture to the garden in early morning and late evening. We may even travel to Colorado for awhile so we can cool off a little.

Then just before your first frost, my tomatoes will be coming back to life with blooms and the tiny fruit that I will be eating as ripe tomatoes at Christmas. I will be planting my fall garden where the onions used to be. My carrots will be ready to harvest. I will be planting my lettuce for the spring harvest. I will probably be building some new beds to enlarge my garden. I will be filling the beds with my soil and compost mixture and probably planting some fall crops in them.

It's just the cycle of life and no matter where you live, you live with some things that are great and some things that are not so great.

Happy Gardening

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Like Jal said you are a bit ahead of us. I have peas poking out of the ground and you have beans. :D

Glad to hear something is going, still forcing myself to turn the other way when I feel the urge to go platning crazy, it's not easy. A couple more weeks and more fo my toms will hit earth if not before than. I think iwill wait till the first of May before the cukes and zuch and such go in.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I planted my heirloom seed in the seeding trays about three weeks ago. I up potted them about a week later. I up potted some before they had their first true leaves. I moved them outside under the clear plastic totes (Aggie cold frames) about a week ago. They are doing so well and growing so fast that I plan on planting them in the soil in mid week next week. I may be taking a chance, but on Thursday, we leave for Arkansas to ride our four wheeler until the following week. I'm afraid to leave them without putting them in the ground. I would probably get back and find they had all died from thirst.

Who knows, I may actually have the first ripe tomato this year. Last year, I posted pics of my first tomato the same day another guy posted his first ripe tomato. Because of a late snow two weeks ago, I am behind last year by about one week.

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Heading to Arkansas? Are ya heading my way? ha ha If you will be camping bring warm sleeping bags for night, and shorts for day! It is desert like right now, hot days and cold nights! And not much in the way of leaves, so a good sunscreen and hat!

I only have onions, garlic and radishes breaking the ground, other than perennials that pop up when they want to.

I would consider planting plants in the ground, but tonight we have the heat back on, so, not quite safe yet.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”