Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Tell me about fennel

I never grew fennel before, but now(after tasting it) I love to eat it, so ghrowing it would be fun. Do they branch out or each seedling grows just one bulb? When do we start blanching it? Is it a good time to put in the seeds now in coastal zone 10(or 24)?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Be sure, when you purchase the seeds, that you've purchased the ones for "bulbing" fennel.

Fennel has been specialized: one variety makes the anise-like bulbs for slicing, sautéing, etc., and the other makes lots and lots of seeds, but no bulbs.

This second variety puts forth a wicked taproot, too; I've helped friends (two) dig them out. The plant will come back from any part of the root and has become a pest in some parts of the Bay Area.

So read the seed packet carefully, and happy cooking!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

SarahSarah
Cool Member

I LOVE fennel. Seriously, LOVE. It grows really well here in Berkeley. I picked up a couple tiny plants from OSH and planted them in the back corner of the yard. It has filled in the corner and it is just gorgeous looking. I like to use the greens in salad to give a little bit of a kick.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Is Florence fennel bulb variety or seed?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Florence fennel has several cultivars: see the Wikipedia article on "fennel," at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennel

Lots of good photos, too! I would love fennel even more if I hadn't done battle with my friends' tap-rooted plants... :roll:

Cynthia

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

THank you, Cynthia. Thnk goodness, they are bulb variety - I bought them on ebay.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”