Dixana
Greener Thumb

Seedlings.....

This was my first year with planting from seeds and its been great! As I've been reading through a lot of other posts though I've seen many ppl commenting on how much work they are and I'm wondering if I'm missing something? I'm in zone 4 in WI so my little plants are still in the house. I planted the seeds, watered, moved them to a well lite window once they sprouted and they look fabulous! Is there some other step between now and transplanting thats complicated? I have been putting them outside during the day but we're still getting frost at night..... Am I just lucky? Or am I missing something? Or maybe I like plants and dirt way to much......

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well be careful with the hardening off part... this is where I lose it all the time. I carefully tend all the little seedlings all winter, then it gets to be spring and I want to be out in the garden, not messing with seedlings in the basement, so I throw them all outdoors to sink or swim. Most of them swim, but in a weakened, stressed form that they then have to recover from.

NOT IDEAL!

It is not hard to grow seedlings! Seeds want to grow! Where the work part of it comes from is some of us get addicted to the magic of seeing little plants appear from almost nothing and keep doing more and more....

Let's see I still have 14 trays of seedlings under lights in my basement, 2 in front of living room window, I've lost count, but at least 10 trays hardening off on my deck, a bunch of seedlings planted already and 30 or so that I sold off....
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Dixana
Greener Thumb

LOL! I don't have nearly that many! I have several varieties of tomatoes which are getting up potted today (I may have gone slighty over board as I have 5 varieties of tomatoes and 72 plants now.....tho I'm giving several to my SIL) and I also have 3 different kinds of bell peppers, some chili and some jalepenos. I'm planning on relocating them to the garden toward the end of the month and planting the rest of my seeds in the garden then as well as I've always has luck starting beans peas ans carrots from seed right in the garden. I do have a soil ? but I should prob start that in a new topic..... :?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I forgot to ask.....are lights necessary? We have loads of natural light in our house and it seemed to work out good for me this year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Some things will be ok in front of a good window. The full sun things like the tomatoes and peppers really do not do well that way and will thrive much better under lights.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I forgot to ask.....are lights necessary? We have loads of natural light in our house and it seemed to work out good for me this year.

I found out that lights are not necessary in a greenhouse situation. Some of my plants get a little leggy. When I pot them up, I plant them deeper. This recommended for tomatoes especially. We sold about 750 4" pots in 2009.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Yeah I'm up potting my tomatoes today as they are a bit leggy (assuming I ever get off this site) but they're doing so well I just wonder if all the extra stuff is rly needed.....I'm known to be a little....well..cheap :lol:
If I ever make the time to read the instructions maybe I'll post some pics but nothing is as easy on a smart phone :(

kgall

My tomatoes and peppers are in a south facing sunny window and they are doing well. When I pot them up I will bury to their seed leaves and I am confident they will be happy!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”