Joyfirst
Green Thumb

My cucumber transplants are still tiny, but already blooming

Is that a sign of stress or is it allright?

RyanDe680
Cool Member

Joyfirst wrote:Is that a sign of stress or is it allright?
Any pictures?

It can happen, doesn't make one plant more normal than the next.

I would suggest snipping that flower though so that the plant can focus on growing prior to bearing any fruit.

Did you sow them in the ground or are they potted? If they are potted, what size pot?

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2721/4477034425_809a5bcee9.jpg[/img]

Here is the picture. One of them is potted(meaning planted with 3 inch peat moss pot) and the other one is in the ground.

GardenJester

yeah... snip the flower. It's confused. have a little talk with it. tell it it's too small to be messing with flowering and bearing fruit etc. It's just not ready for the responsibility. :P

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Joyfirst wrote:[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2721/4477034425_809a5bcee9.jpg[/img]

Here is the picture. One of them is potted(meaning planted with 3 inch peat moss pot) and the other one is in the ground.
I suppose you at least took the bottom of that pot off of that plant. Those pots don't degreade as fast as they would like you to belive. That can lead to your roots having a hard time getting out. :D

SarahSarah
Cool Member

How close can you plant cucumber plants. I thought that they had to be spread out more?

My cucumber plant didn't do so well last year, I only got 2 6" cucumbers out of it. This year I planted 3 different types and planted them in plenty of sun. Hubby loves cucs, so I would love to plant more, but I'm out of garden space. Do they do well in pots?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I agree, The peat pot should have it's bottom removed. Also the top should be totally buried. Peat pots above ground will cause wicking. 3ft or more on the spacing.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

As far as spacing goes, they are fine, because I raise them in almost just compost -in raised beds- and a very fertile compost this time-my own made cold compost. I did that for two years and they gave me bunch. But I never planted in peat pots before, so I guess, I should take them out. I left rim up a bit on purpose to avoid cutworm damage.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”