TLL

Potatoes and tomatoes - how close is too close?

I've never grown potatoes before, and have a small veggie garden. I've been adopting the companion planting method to maximize my veg yield, and have read numerous times that potatoes and tomatoes don't mix. I have tomatoes in pots in the garden, and am thinking about planting potatoes in a vacant space about three feet away. Is that too close? :? How close IS too close when it comes to them, as well as beans vs. onions, etc.?

I could certainly move the tomatoes if they are too close, but right now they are in the perfect spot against the house...

Thanks!
TLL

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I believe they are companion plants so, you wouldn't want them inches apart but, just keep them near eachother.

I had them growing into eachother last year and they both did great! A minimum of 38 tubers per potatoe and loads of tomatoes.

TLL

Thank you thank you! I'm so happy to hear that.... I hadn't thought about planting potatoes this year, but then I started to salivate at the thought of my first few early potatoes steamed and smothered in butter.... can't wait!

TLL

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Try some heirloom varieties, I have planted (and still to plant) all purple potatoes, fingerling potatoes, banana potatoes and all red potatoes.

I add a tonne of compost to my soil in the form of sheet composting each fall and my potatoes went crazy last year. Of course, they were also planted with the Tomatoe plants and what not and I'm sure that this helped as well.

Mmmmmm Mmmm! Purple potatoes are great with green onions and butter. And they are great in potatoe bread, done as tiny little buns.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”