isaacx815
Newly Registered

Bhut Jolokia (GHOST CHILI) wont produce pepper

Hello everyone I'm new to the forums and fairly new to indoor gardening. I have been interested in gardening since I baought my house 2 years ago and I absolutely love it. Its so theraputic. Anyway I have a aerogarden that I have a bhut jolokia in and its about 2 1/2" tall. It is producing lots of flowers and I have tried to pollinate them by shaking the plant, using a q tip and brush to spread pollin but still no succes. I have been doing this everyday for the last 2 weeks and still nothing. I'm starting to get a little frustratwed with this and need some advise so if anyone has anything for me I would greatly appreciate the feed back thank you

Decado
Green Thumb

Ghost chiles eh? I heard these are the hottest peppers on the planet, do you plan on actually eating these? :lol: My guess would be that the aero garden doesn't provide enough light, or enough of the right color light for fruiting.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Umm... those are inedible basically... causing blisters upon touch to the tongue and being used for anit-terrorism in the form of pepper sprays and pepper bombs... :shock: SOOO not meant for eating, oh, wear gloves, apparently they can blister your hands while working with them.

Good luck! Thats about all I know about them...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I think that it is the aerogarden thing, too. I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but I know that to grow plants to fruit successfully indoors, you need some expensive/specialized lighting.

I'm thinking that your best bet would be to plant the plants outside when all danger of frost has passed and the soil has warmed up a little. You should get some peppers, then.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Supposedly the flavor is very good before the heat kicks in. A lot of hard core chile heads are growing them for making sauce, but they are difficult/temperamental about setting fruit even outside. I seem to recall that they need heat and a long season.

isaacx815
Newly Registered

yeah I thought about that. those gardens arent good for much. I do have sveral for outside hopefully ill be able to plant them this weekend it going to be up to 80 around here in Pa.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”