Lawrence Croeser

Bug repellent plants in containers.

Good Day,

What do you think of the idea, to plant bug repellent plants in containers. My thinking is, they can be moved with ease to where you need them.

Regards..............Lawrence

Rob_NZ

Hi Lawrence,

No real answer from me but I like the idea of a mobile defence force :twisted:

I suppose it depends on your situation and whether you actually need to re-locate beneficial plants. I grow a couple of "distraction" plants near my vege beds, Asters and Nasturtiums to keep the dreaded Cabbage White Butterfly at bay which works but they're planted pretty much en masse. Marigolds intermingled with the veges themselves too but that's about it for me. If you wanted to protect a particular plant, or set of seedlings then the potted principal might hold up, I.e. you would smother the plant with protective ones in pots. I can't really say because I do not know what bugs South African gardeners are up against.

You'd definately need to research your protective plants thouroughly though to avoid limiting their effect by putting them in pots, because some will be more useful in the soil at the nematode and microbial level?

Sorry for not being much help, but I do like the question :D

tn_veggie_gardner

There exists a plant called a Mosquito Plant. I have yet to find one, but the local box stores supposedly carry them during normaly gardening seasons. I'd reccomend looking for it. =)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

G'day Lawrence,

I like the idea. How about this. Take a flexable pipe, and drill big enough holes to plant in and fill it with soil. Cap the ends. Now you can snake it around plants for protection. You could also make a long tube out of burlap and do the same thing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”