jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Weird Carrots

This is what carrots do when the ground is hard. To avoid this problem, be sure to loosen the soil to a depth as deep as the variety of carrot will go.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/weird_carrots.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

:lol: All you need are few indication of facial features and they'd look like a bunch of space ... or underground civilization :wink: .. aliens! :lol:

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

Hehe, they remind me of mandrake roots!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Those are.. uh..... lovely Jal. :lol: I suppose they taste ok though don't they?

I expect mine to turn out that way as well, thoug hprobably not as big.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

These came out of a neighbor's garden. He didn't get the soil worked deep enough for carrots. I didn't taste them, but he said they were sweet and crisp. He did also have some good ones. These are the freaks. They were in a pit all winter. That one dark one is a purple carrot.

I need to go dig up the carrots I put in a pit last fall.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Let us see what you dig up please.

Ted

nes
Green Thumb

yes! I remember that hole & have been waiting to see what will come out of it! :)

Choosing a variety that does well in rocky/hard soils is also helpful. Knowing I was dealing with a clay/clay/loam with gravel in it - I picked a Danver last year & they did very well :).

mrsgreenthumbs

Ohhh I am so excited! I just started thinning my carrot's for the 3ed time and some of them look like itty bity baby carrot's... not QUITE orange but getting a tinge to some of them. I doubt I'll have problems with hard ground (raised bed) but I wouldn't mind it if I did... Those are pretty cool! :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Jal if only I could grow good carrots I would be digging them out of a pit myself. :cry:

I dug super deep last fall and planted carrot seed that was doing great but something ate them all and they never came back. :x

crobi13

I had quite a few that looked like that last year but I ate them, they were good.

I had been hoping to plant my seeds this week but the massive rainfall would have washed them away.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That's it!

That's exactly what my carrots looked like last summer! Finally, I found the answer: hard ground :x. I'll have to make sure that I loosen it up good this year, maybe add some compost, too. My soil must have been pretty hard in that are because this happen to Danver's half-longs.

Thanks for finally clearing this up.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Jal if only I could grow good carrots I would be digging them out of a pit myself.
Try planting some seed right now directly in the garden. It is just the right time for you. Careful to not get them too thick. I like the Chantenay types. They do well for me and taste good.

I won't be planting my carrots for a week or so because:

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/march31_sno.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry about the snow Jal.

But I planted Danver Half Long and Dragon seed last week long with some transplants I have been growing to see if they would do any good.

Wish me luck I'm gonna need it. Carrots hate me but I and my kids love them. This is more of yet another trial year if they do good more thought will go into it next year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/april1_sno.jpg[/img]

We really got dumped on last night. 12 inches on April 1. No fooling.

applestar
Mod

Oh no! :o
That's unreal. We're getting that heat wave that seemed be passing through and the forecast for the next 5 days is upper 70's with 80ºF for tomorrow.

Looks like you're going to have to garden in snowshoes or crosscountry skis. :> (Maybe go toss some peas on the snow...) Kick back and have some hot cocoa (with mini marshmallows!), jal. That's our favorite drink after playing in the snow. :wink:

Your photo sure looks pretty as usual, though. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”