Lawrence Croeser

How to improve drainage in clay soils.

Good Day,

My veg beds are slightly raised above the surrounding ground. Their perimeter is made from clay bricks, placed not fixed. The size is roughly that of a door.

My soil has a moderate clay content. Please suggest what steps I should take to improve the drainage. It seem that most of the plants I intend to plant require well drained soils.

Do brinjal require well drained soils?. Are there specific steps I should bear in mind when planting brinjal?.

Many thanks..............Lawrence

soil
Greener Thumb

you need organic matter( ex. compost, aged animal manure, rotten wood), and after the organic matter percentage is up in the soil youll want to add some sand or crushed lavarock. ( but don't add the sand until theres enough OM or you will create concrete) so for the time being add as much OM as possible.

Chris_in_Wine_Country

I think Peat Moss is pretty good for breaking up clay soil.

ccar2000
Cool Member

If you don't have your own compost, organic matter that is available from neighbors is another resource. Someone that has horses, goats, chickens or other livestock is a good source. Often times they will give you more than you can use. These manures would have a high nitrogen level and may burn your plants if applied directly. However, if mixed with other yard waste such as leaves (carbon) and left in a pile... BAM! you have your own compost!

I you are not into that then you can watch for the sales at your local home center. Some will give you a discount if you can take the bags that are aged or split open.

Peat moss is slightly acidic, I do not know what pH the nightshades such as brinjal thrive in but, you should also consider the pH properties of the soil you are trying to achieve.

Good luck,
Cappy

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I slava rock different than rock dust?

ccar2000
Cool Member

I have heard that lava rock is only useful for providing drainage. Whereas rock dust, depending upon the type of rock being crushed can modify the soils pH, calcium, phosphorus, and other qualities of the soil. You should know your soil in order to make the appropriate adjustments. Some county extensions offer soil testing and there are homeowner kits available as well. Make sure you sample and test random areas so you get a good cross section of the entire area.

Good luck,
Cappy

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Well drained means that your yard is sloped such that any excess water from rains or snow do not puddle on your garden plot.

Don't knock clay soil too badly. All soil is made up of clay, silt, sand, humus, and organic matter, plus water, chemicals and living organisms. Many excellent crops are grown each year in clay based soils.

Clay holds moisture well. You won't need to water as much as if your soil was sandy. The best thing to lighten up the clay soil is sand and oragnic matter. Don't worry about making "bricks" unless you work the soil when it is too wet. Yes, if you work clay soil when it is too wet it will surely dry up hard and cloddy.

Lawrence Croeser

Good Day

Thank you very much for all the information.

Regards...........Lawrence

kylie77

I have horrible clay soil, and last year was my first year gardening. I added manure, peat moss, coffee grounds, egg shells etc... But stuff grew like mad! So I'm not longer too worried about it! It'll only get better each year anyway, but we had no trouble last year at all. Good luck with your garden.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Lawrence,

I agree with the addition of organic matter. I would also think about raising the berms even higher. They will dry out and warm up sooner in the spring.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”