Codecracker
Newly Registered

Ohio Rookie looking to start out strong

Hello everyone. I just stumbled onto this website and forum and was struck by the friendliness and community spirit in general. I just moved into my own house and have a chance to have my own garden. I grew up on a farm here in Ohio and had to help my Mom with a huge garden as a kid but that was 30 years ago. I also may have been mostly distracted while helping, :D so it's not fair to count that as experience.

I'm a computer geek and an information sponge, so my strategy was to get a couple of good books, find a good online forum for advice and try to develop a few local resources as well. The Square Foot Gardening method was one book recommended to me and with my somewhat limited space and lack of experience, that seems like a good way to start. Make a few beds that I can manage and learn with and expand when I gain experience. Is this a decent approach?

I am also looking for some basic book recommendations so I can start out with a solid knowledge base and not ask so many stupid questions. :shock: Any other advice on how to start a successful garden in my first year are all appreciated.

Hopefully I can learn and manage to contribute something positive to the forum. Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome! :)

You may find some good reading suggestions in this thread:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22826

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener!

I also endorse Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening for new gardeners. It follows the "start small, gain confidence" principle. Gardening is such a vast topic that starting small and gaining confidence about your own specific growing situation is a crucial building block. :) I used SFG in 2008, my first year back to hands-dirty gardening after a long layoff (car accident...). There are now four raised beds here and one ground-level planting area, plus the perennials (roses, jade plants, horrible junipers) that kept the place from looking like a total dump the years I couldn't work very much outdoors.

There are many books about gardening, but if you're interested in edibles and feel that you *may eventually* want to grow a given % of your own food, look into John Jeavons' How to Grow More Vegetables (7th ed.).

There may also be entry-level books/DVDs (check the local library--they're free! but you have to take them back :wink:) on regional, state, or even local growing conditions. In the west, we have the Sunset Western Garden Book. In 1997, Sunset published the National Garden Book, but they've never updated it, so...ask the librarian or the staff at a local independent garden-supply store for recommendations.

Happy gardening.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I like Jeff Ball's 60 minute gardening.

He takes you through building beds, irrigation, selecting plants, starting plants, and what I like is he gives you break downs on everything.

It is an older book, but that does not change the construction, the guides on how many to start, etc.

And be sure to look up Ruth Stout and read all you can of her articles and books.

lj in ny

I was going to recommend Ruth Stout as well or any other method that builds the soil. Check out her videos on YouTube. I've heard really good things about Square Foot Gardening but haven't tried it myself. Don't get too overwhelmed with information. Pick a few resources and get outside! Congratulations!
:D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All good advice! I don't really have anything to add, just to say HI to a fellow Ohio gardener. Agree with the last suggestion... do some homework, but don't get bogged down in it. It's SPRING!! Now is the time to be out getting your garden started!

Once you get going, you can ask questions as they come along.

Do start by starting a compost pile. It won't help now for spring planting, but you will be glad you did, later.

castoral
Newly Registered

I'm also a fellow Dayton gardener (Centerville actually) and starting my first square foot garden this year. I'm incapable of starting small (it's just in my nature to dive right in) do this year I'll be doing 2 - 4'x4' beds and 1-3'x6' bed along with a few containers, strawberries in buckets, potatoes in a trash bin, and a little herb garden.

And just FYI if you've having a hard time finding vermiculite for Mel's Mix....I found the cheapest place that carries it in the larger bags is Dayton Hydoponics around the Dayton Mall. $19 for a 4 cu ft bag. Lowes has the cheapest peat moss as well.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to compare notes. I'm just a begginer, but I've done quite a bit of research over the past year and a half!

Codecracker
Newly Registered

Wow, looks my first impression about the forum was correct, thanks for all the sincere replies in such a short time.

My Amazon account is already in action and I'm making a trip to my local Half-Priced Books with list in hand! 8)

I must warn you that it does no good to tell me to not get overwhelmed by information, I make a living doing that, hehe. But not to worry, I'm excited about doing the actual work and seeing some real results. I'm thinking of making a photo diary of how it goes and showing what went right and what went wrong. Maybe that's one way I could contribute, helping other beginners not repeat my mistakes.

I'm sure my next round of questions will be forthcoming.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”