applestar
Mod

Cool weather veg's are coming up!

Noted today around the garden -- sprouted Peas, lettuce, kohlrabi, cilantro, chervil, Rainbow chard, possibly some carrots. Garlic have been up already, and, now, Egyptian or multiplier onions that were planted last fall.

tn_veggie_gardner

Awesome! I loooooooooooooove garlic. I planted about 30 or so starts of it this year, and I do 80% of my gardening in containers, so that's a lot of space! lol

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have sprouts of head lettuce, leaf lettuce, chard, spinach!

I was worried about them because just a few hours after I planted the seeds we had a huge rainstorm (I should have been watching weather reports better!). I was worried the seeds would have washed out, but all is well!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Cool apple I have some lettuce pooping their heads up as well. I can't my chard hasn't surfaced yet though. Still waiting on the the onions and garlic.

It has satarted there is no stopping it now. :D

lj in ny

My chard survived the winter....? I mulched it with chopped up leaves last fall. I moved it to another part of the garden last weekend and it seems to be doing fine. I'm not sure how it will taste. I'm planting more in some of the flower gardens just in case. Has anyone else had chard survive in my type of climate? If so, how does it taste?

I didn't plant garlic last fall....I'm bummed about that.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Nice going Apple! But you know - for some of us, pictures are really needed to aid with the feeling of the spring :lol:

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

my first baby carrot sprouts are up now too!

Maybe I'll try to get a picture, but the little seedlings are still so tiny, the picture might just look like dirt! :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Were the carrots direct seeded? [ ED RBG Yes, direct seeded in the ground ] I have some I planted indoors and am going to try and get them n today as well as some seed. Just wondering if they will do any good being transplanted being a root crop.

applestar
Mod

Try WATERING them in. Make a hole deep enough for the entire root to go in straight, pour water in it, position the seedling, and fill in. With bare seedlings, I hold it over the hole by a seed leaf, pour water into the hole (which helps to straighten the root), then sort of pinch the hole closed. For seedlings with soil around the root, I sort of hold the root ball against the side of the hole, add more soil under the root ball if necessary, then dump soil over my hand, then work the hand loose.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That's great. Nothing growing here yet. Too cold. The garlic hasn't even came up yet. I will wait until April to plant my early stuff. I did plant some onions last week though.

applestar
Mod

I second rainbowgardener when...
rainbowgardener wrote:Maybe I'll try to get a picture, but the little seedlings are still so tiny, the picture might just look like dirt! :)
:lol: I don't have a super zoom lens or good camera like you DV -- I'd have to lay on the cold wet ground! :roll:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

come on now if your not getting dirty your not gardening. :lol:

applestar
Mod

Here ya go. A photo of the Early Purple Vienna Kohlrabi, starting to "bulge"
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image7008.jpg[/img] 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Very nice. Did you have to lay on the ground. :P

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, my carrots that I couldn't have taken a picture of back in Mar, now have little orange bulges!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Kohlrabi is something that really intrigues me and I'll have to try to grow some next year. Those purple ones look really cool. How do they taste? How are you supposed to cook them?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Those have such a great color to them. Nothing like some color in the garden.

I'm in the removing stage for cool crops now. though some are still hanging on.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”