RyanDe680
Cool Member

Talk about celery

I planted the celery on February 27th (over 4 weeks ago).

Thus far, nothing has sprouted.

Now I know celery takes a good amount of time. I have kept the soil rather moist, as celery likes.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I wanted to plant every four weeks so I have a continuous crop, however at this rate I don't have anything...

applestar
Mod

This is my first year trying to grow celery too, but here are a couple of guides that I'm following:

The celery seeds I bought from Pinetree Garden Seeds came with instructions to pre-chill:
Celery: Improve germination: soak for 2~3 hrs., drain, paper towel dry, then freeze 1wk. Plant 1/4" deep.
Celery growing guide at Johnny's Selected Seeds:
Sow in early March or 10-12 weeks before transplanting outdoors. Sow about 6 seeds per inch, 1/8" deep, and keep soil moist and temperatures 70-75°F (21-24°C) if possible. Seedlings emerge in 2-3 weeks and then temperature can be reduced to 60-70°F (16-21°C).

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My celery was up in 10 days.

But tiny, really tiny. It is now getting true leaves, on stems that look like hairs! No idea why it is so leggy, the other veggies beside it isn't.

I will try to transplant without breaking them, and bury them deeper.
My seeds are also from Pinetree.

RyanDe680
Cool Member

applestar wrote:This is my first year trying to grow celery too, but here are a couple of guides that I'm following:

The celery seeds I bought from Pinetree Garden Seeds came with instructions to pre-chill:
Celery: Improve germination: soak for 2~3 hrs., drain, paper towel dry, then freeze 1wk. Plant 1/4" deep.
Celery growing guide at Johnny's Selected Seeds:
Sow in early March or 10-12 weeks before transplanting outdoors. Sow about 6 seeds per inch, 1/8" deep, and keep soil moist and temperatures 70-75°F (21-24°C) if possible. Seedlings emerge in 2-3 weeks and then temperature can be reduced to 60-70°F (16-21°C).
Thanks.

I have been following Johnny's suggestions. I might try another batch.

Talk about frustrating. Every day I look, every day, disappointment... :(

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I didn't bury my seeds at all. I just sprinkled them on top of the soil, then put the dome on, and set it on top of the fridge, up in 10 days!

I think such tiny seed are not strong enough to get out of the soil.

Try same seeds again, if you have any left, but don't cover them at all.

RyanDe680
Cool Member

Ozark Lady wrote:I didn't bury my seeds at all. I just sprinkled them on top of the soil, then put the dome on, and set it on top of the fridge, up in 10 days!

I think such tiny seed are not strong enough to get out of the soil.

Try same seeds again, if you have any left, but don't cover them at all.
Thanks. I'll start a set tonight and try that out.

How often did you water them? Mist?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I had the soil good and wet, and no watering until it dried just a bit, and that was well after they were up and going. Now, they are just treated like all the rest, water when dry, and mist occasionally, not even daily.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”