tedln
Super Green Thumb

Seeds in the ground!

I planted my garden seed today. I know I am taking a chance of having everything killed by frost. If I do, I will simply replant. I have my purchased tomato and pepper (jalapeno and bell) plants hardening off right now. My heirloom tomatoes are just starting to put out their true leaves so it will be a while before I can plant them. I looked at the planting date last year (I mark all planted varieties and date on the bed timbers with a magic marker every year). I planted the garden on 03-17-09 and survived two late frosts.

I already had two varieties of sweet onion growing (about 600 onions). I had two varieties of Romaine lettuce growing. I had probably 60 garlic plants growing as well as two varieties of carrots. Today, I planted Sweet Success and Burpee Sweet Burpless Hybrid cucumbers, yard long "Asian" green beans, Burpee Pic & Pic, Horn of Plenty, and Gold Bar varieties of yellow squash. I will plant most of my peppers and tomatoes this weekend with the heirlooms going in the ground in two weeks (after the latest possible frost date).

I saved seed from last years yard long green beans because the seed I purchased from Burpee last year was very, very poor in quality. I only had a 25% germination rate. After I thrashed the bean seeds from last years crops, I separated them into the largest, most viable appearing seeds and the smaller viable appearing seeds. I planted the largest seeds hoping I will get a better germination rate with sturdier plants.

When I am able to plant my heirloom tomatoes, I will plant some Stupice. I have really debated whether to plant Stupice or not. Of the seven varieties I germinated, the Stupice germinated faster and with more vigor than the other six. I understand it is an early producer of heavy yield, small, low flavor fruit. I almost decided to not plant the Stupice because of the small and low flavor traits, but I may try to have the earliest ripened fruit. Who knows I may win the earliest tomato contest.

Ted
Last edited by tedln on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozark_rocks

wow you are brave! I hope it works for you.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You should be alright I would belive being in Texas. Though recent weather patterns have been a bit off the wall. Good luck though as you know I have already planted some cool weather crops. The lettuce seed I put in last weekend is breaking ground and everything else is still going.

Not so much ready for toms (well I'm ready to put them in them in the the weather is not) and cukes and the like. But soon buddy soon. We shall all have vibrant gardens. :D

ccar2000
Cool Member

I believe you have a good chance. Sounds like you have a rather large garden. You did not mention your USDA zone or the high and low temperatures that you are currently experiencing. Here in the California high desert I am in USDA Zone 7. I am having evening lows in the 40's and daytime highs in the mid 70's. I will be transplanting my pepper and tomatoes next weekend. They are still hardening off. I will plant my seeds the weekend after Easter.

Good luck,
Cappy

tedln
Super Green Thumb

ccar2000 wrote:I believe you have a good chance. Sounds like you have a rather large garden. You did not mention your USDA zone or the high and low temperatures that you are currently experiencing. Here in the California high desert I am in USDA Zone 7. I am having evening lows in the 40's and daytime highs in the mid 70's. I will be transplanting my pepper and tomatoes next weekend. They are still hardening off. I will plant my seeds the weekend after Easter.

Good luck,
Cappy
I don't believe I have a large garden. I just plant very, very crowded. In fact I am thinking of ways to expand it later. I have plenty of room to expand. I'm just reluctant to move one side of a fence that keeps my brown lab from turning my garden into his salad buffet.

You can see my garden here. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23040

You and I are in the same zone 7, and our morning and evening temps are very similar. My problem is the fact that our conditions can change in just a few hours. I try to keep an eye on long range forecasts into mid April. I should be safe after that. We are supposed to hit 80 degrees one day next week.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”