Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Jean Pain, another kind of garden

I came across a book, that I have glanced through looks great, lots of input here.
It is a free download, so we can download, read and study... take what we need or want and leave the rest.
I did a forum search and there is one reference to Jean Pain, but I don't know how many folks actually went and researched this man.
Still, I found it interesting, already.
https://www.biomeiler.at/explorer/Downloads/AnotherKindofGarden.pdf
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Ozarklady,

Interesting book! The use of by products of commercial forestry has always fascinated me. I believe wood chips or as the book defines it "brush chips" can be fermented for methane, heat captured from composting, or simply burned when compressed into pellets to fuel other processes or heat a home.

In Western Louisiana, East Texas, and I'm sure your area of North West Arkansas; millions of acres of "timber land" is owned and timber farmed by commercial timber/wood products companies. If you have ever driven past an area that has recently been clear cut, you have to be impressed with the amount of waste that is simply left to rot while new hybrid trees are replanted. I say "waste", but it may be inaccurate, because it is rotting and the nutrients are returned to the soil.

I enjoyed reading the book.

Thanks

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

So that book is useful just to the country gardeners, right? The ones who have access to the woods?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

No, it is useful or at least interesting to anyone who is interested in the natural processes that make our gardens possible. It is useful to people who are interested in using natural processes which may result in other processes which improve our lives. The natural processes are not complicated, but we have to understand them to use them.

I think your point is the fact that country gardeners would seem to have more access to the raw materials and the space to utilize them. The fact is most of us have more access to raw materials than we think. I've never checked out the composting forum on "The Gardening Forum", but I'm willing to bet they have a lot of information on unusual things you can compost from kitchen waste, to newspaper, to coffee grounds, to garden remains.

I was recently watching electrical utility crews trimming trees away from power lines. As they moved along the highway, they were leaving huge piles of wood chips to simply rot. I didn't need the material, but I hope some gardener came along and loaded his pickup with the material for his garden.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

When storms pass through here, many folks in town are looking for someone to haul off branches, and even the wood.
I bet leaves left at curbside, and lawn cuttings would work too.

I posted it, because we were also talking about alternative energy, and he combined that with composting and gardening.
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”