Turbosaurus

Zone 7. When to plant lettuce from seed?

I am reading that the average date of the last killing frost in my area is anywhere from April 1 -30th (doesn't really narrow it down much, does it?) My grandmother always said you have to wait until Mother's day before you plant your veggies, she is in zone 6.

I have been told my lettuce doesn't do well becasue its a "cold weather" crop and I have been planting it too late.
I am trying to figure out how long before I plan to move it outside can I start it indoors from seed, and when should it be moved outside?

thank you

applestar
Mod

You could safely sow your lettuce seeds outside now. For my area (Zone 6b), it's officially a month before last average frost date and all cold weather seeds have been planted (I couldn't wait) or will be planted.

In my experience, it takes 3 weeks to grow lettuce seedlings to transplant size (2 sets of true leaves). Iceberg-types seem to grow more slowly and take about 4 weeks for me. Are you growing heading type lettuce or leaf lettuce? Leaf lettuce seedlings can tolerate light frost slightly better than heading lettuce. With protection, they can be planted out even when the temperature dips to mid-20's. Heading lettuce takes longer to grow to full size, but you *can* harvest the outer leaves just like you do with leaf lettuce if you are not worried about appearance.

Last year, I planted out all my lettuce seedlings by the first week of April. So, I'm going to start planting out my hardened off lettuce seedlings within the next week or so, but I will be using floating covers at minimum. I'll probably plant a few under plastic covers as well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I'm in zone 6b, average last frost date around mid-April and I planted my lettuce seed directly in the ground over a week ago. The cold weather crops they usually say plant "as soon as the soil can be worked." That means your ground is unfrozen and dried out enough so it doesn't clump up. Once the lettuce has sprouted I do cover it if there is frost predicted. It makes it through just fine.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I planted Romaine lettuce last September in zone 7. It sprouted, but never grew more than 3" tall all winter. It has now had many nights and days well below freezing and it has been buried by seven snowfalls this winter. Two weeks ago it was still 3" tall. Two weeks later with the onset of slightly warmer weather, it has grown to over 6" tall and is really taking off. I also planted some additional Romaine seed directly in the bed about two weeks ago and a few freezing nights and one snowfall after germination hasn't hurt the new seedlings. Romaine must have antifreeze in its veins instead of water.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can plant your lettuce seed directly in the garden now.

Turbosaurus

Thank you everyone for the replies- I'll get out there as soon as it stops raining- (and its all leaf lettuce).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”