Decado
Green Thumb

Garden Plans Drawn Up

So I'm going with a modified John Jeavons Biointensive growing method here, instead of doing 5x25 beds I'm just using my existing garden and having seperate sections for the different plants. 1 square=4 inches and each dot represents a plant. I got the spacing for these veggies from Jeavons' book "How To Grow More Vegetables". Let me know what you think. Note - the sprinkler is so big because I put it on a ladder, but I may not have to do that this year with this spacing.

[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/GardenPlans.jpg[/img]

bigdoug

OK. That's it! I'm quitting my garden to become a Garden Gnome in yours. :) Seriously though, that is an awesome layout. You really are getting a lot out of the space.

So get the 4ft toadstool I'll need for my 6'5'' frame ready and I'll be up there in my gnome getup presently :lol:

Decado
Green Thumb

Lol, now I just hope this works out. Does anyone else have any input on these plans?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It looks good -- you've clearly done a lot of thinking about it. Following the square foot gardening plan, you are making pretty efficient use of space. But since I have so little space, I'm always cramming things in. So I think of things like what about the spaces between the pairs of cucumber trellis? You could plant lettuce/ spinach in there, which would benefit from the shade of the cucumbers when the weather gets hot. What about all the edges around the tomato bed? My tomato bed has broccoli planted in the front now. When it's time for the tomatoes to go out, they go behind the row of broccoli. By the time the tomatoes are getting big, the broccoli is done and gets pulled. Then all the spaces around the edges are filled in with onions, marigolds, nasturtiums....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Rainbow has some god ideas take them to heart. I plan on doing the lettuce under the cuke trellis myself, that is if I ever get around to building the cuke trellis. :lol:

Decado
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:It looks good -- you've clearly done a lot of thinking about it. Following the square foot gardening plan, you are making pretty efficient use of space. But since I have so little space, I'm always cramming things in. So I think of things like what about the spaces between the pairs of cucumber trellis? You could plant lettuce/ spinach in there, which would benefit from the shade of the cucumbers when the weather gets hot. What about all the edges around the tomato bed? My tomato bed has broccoli planted in the front now. When it's time for the tomatoes to go out, they go behind the row of broccoli. By the time the tomatoes are getting big, the broccoli is done and gets pulled. Then all the spaces around the edges are filled in with onions, marigolds, nasturtiums....
Well I'm afraid if I grow any more stuff it will start to go to waste, I normally give a lot to people and eat a lot and I have a lot more this year than usual so I'm probably gonna cool it on more plants. Plus you haven't seen the 15'x10' bed below where the cuke trellis' there are. That'll be filled with swiss chard, green beans, spinach, and brussels sprouts. And between rows might be a bit of a problem too because I still need to get around in there, lol. Anyways thanks for the advice and I may still fill in some space once I have it all planted.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”