Christina Anne Taylor
Newly Registered

Starting asparagus from seed

Hello, Fellow Gardeners.

I have organic Mary Washington asparagus seeds. For two years, I have attempted to start them in the standard $7 peat pellet "greenhouses." I saw a total of three plants within the two seasons and none made it. I really want to grow asparagus. Does anyone know of any secrets for better germination rates? Might they do better started directly in the garden?

Thank you,
Christina

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It has been many years since I started asparagus from seed, but I remember that it needs a very fast draining soil. Personally, I've never had luck with peat pots. You might try starting your seed in some other type of container, and using a fast draining soil. The pH should be at least 6.5 or higher.

If you use covers when starting seeds, get the covers off as soon as the seeds sprout, because asparagus seedlings are very sensitive to too much moisture. They are prone to damping off and crown rot.

It takes 3 years to get a crop from asparagus started from seed. Unfortunately, I moved to a different home before I ever got to enjoy anything from the asparagus I planted. :(
Last edited by Kisal on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christina Anne Taylor
Newly Registered

My, that was a quick reply; thank you very much! It tells me what I need to know, and damping off is precisely how I lost my three little guys that made an attempt.

I'll give it another go and remove the cover when they emerge. It's very humid here, too.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

and if it still doesn't work and you really want asparagus, I'd consider buying some crowns. fewer dangers in starting with older plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have had good luck planting asparagus seed directly in the garden. It can be planted early, as soon as a seedbed can be prepared.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”