Jbest

A good day today

I got the second tree pruned when it started to rain and we are supposed to get nearly 2â€

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck with with your sweet potatoes and be sure to let us know what comes of them.

I have tried unsuccessfully to get them to sprout with the water method. :cry:

tn_veggie_gardner

Yea, I 2nd that...good luck with the seed potatoes & definitely let us know how it goes. I want to grow some taters, but like you, do not find the quality of ones I like at the box stores.

applestar
Mod

I hope it's warm in your greenhouse. Last year, my potatoes wouldn't sprout until the temps got up near 80º. I had started them using water-method mid-March, along with chitting my Irish potatoes -- Sweets with humidity cover in the sunny kitchen window (~72ºF), Irish in the garage (50ºF~55ºF). Practically nothing happened to the Sweets until April. Slow going with the sprouts until we had that sudden heat wave in late April during which I refused to turn on the A/C. :roll: Then they all started growing like mad.

I started planting water-grown slips 5/24. I'm going to try to plant them earlier than that this year, and am also trying both water and soil growing with bottom heat. I'm also rooting the slips in pots of soil as they grow. I'm sure the soil-grown and soil-rooted slips will settle in faster once transplanted.

BTW, I don't know if I have the courage to prune back my single apple tree to that extent :shock: (I'm probably being more tentative with my other, young espalier apples than I should be... :roll: ) Please keep us updated on their progress. Will you try different pruning techniques with the others or will you treat them all the same way?

Jbest

applestar wrote:I hope it's warm in your greenhouse. Last year, my potatoes wouldn't sprout until the temps got up near 80º. I had started them using water-method mid-March, along with chitting my Irish potatoes -- Sweets with humidity cover in the sunny kitchen window (~72ºF), Irish in the garage (50ºF~55ºF). Practically nothing happened to the Sweets until April. Slow going with the sprouts until we had that sudden heat wave in late April during which I refused to turn on the A/C. :roll: Then they all started growing like mad.

I started planting water-grown slips 5/24. I'm going to try to plant them earlier than that this year, and am also trying both water and soil growing with bottom heat. I'm also rooting the slips in pots of soil as they grow. I'm sure the soil-grown and soil-rooted slips will settle in faster once transplanted.

BTW, I don't know if I have the courage to prune back my single apple tree to that extent :shock: (I'm probably being more tentative with my other, young espalier apples than I should be... :roll: ) Please keep us updated on their progress. Will you try different pruning techniques with the others or will you treat them all the same way?
On partly cloudy days the GH will hit 80+ and on sunny days I have to oped both doors or it will hit 100+.

I will be doing all five apple trees. Hopefully I can get back on them today.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”