trying2findmygreenthumb

Pill Bug Problem

It's been raining like crazy here in sunny southern california, and my raised beds are covered in sow bugs. Every plant. All the soil, it's saddening, I need a way to get rid of them before my seedlings get transferred, and before they eat up what's left from the winter garden. Any ideas?, I've researched maybe using DE. Any thoughts, I almost want to scoop them up and feed them to my chickens......hmmm

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Pill bugs, aka roly-polies? I have zillions of them in my compost; they love DEAD plant stuff. Detritovores (yes, it's a real word :lol: ).

I don't think they're a threat to living plants, but maybe someone can prove me wrong. I've let them live for years and years.

However, the critters adding to my "karmic kill account" are...earwigs, aphids, ants, snails, slugs, tomato hornworms (one, but it was huge), .....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with cynthia, usually they are not harmful to living plants, they are part of the cycle of decomposing things. But I found this nice little article about them

https://www.livingwithbugs.com/sow_bug.html

which does say that in high numbers they can be harmful to young seedlings and suggests the DE as a remedy. It also mentions spinosad, but that can be harmful to honeybees, so stick with the DE!

It's the combination of rich organic soil and all that rain that brought this on. Once things dry out, the problem should go away again.

trying2findmygreenthumb

Thank you to you both. I'll let them stay for now, but watch over the new seedlings.

mrsgreenthumbs

UGH I have the same problem. My new raised veggie bed was beginning to get soggy so I tossed plastic over it and let it dry out a bit. I know Cali need's this water after the 4 year long drought but MAN! Those pill bug's are going nut's in my garden! I usually just leave them be, my step son tends to kill more bug's than I would with insecticides any ways ;).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”