jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Plant Starting Indoors

I know there has been lots of talk about this subject, but I thought I would share what has worked very well for me.
The plants are on a table in front of a South facing basement window. They do get some direct sunshine placed here. The 4 foot 2 tube shop light is hung on chains so it is adjustable for height, and it is left on 24/7.

I used 9 oz. Solo cups to plant in. A hole was punched in the bottom of the cup for drainage. The pots are sitting in aluminum jelly roll pans to catch the drips. I used bagged seed starting mix. I planted one seed in most pots and 2 seeds in a few. Germination is pretty good, but not 100%, so I will have a few extra plants to move to a pot where the seed didn't come up. If I still have a few doubles, after that, I can fill a few more pots with potting soil and transplant them.

These pots are large enough that the plants do not need to be transplanted. They can grow in them until time to go out. Well....... assuming that they were not started too early. I start tomatoes 8 weeks before planting out time and peppers 12 weeks before.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/plants.jpg[/img]

RyanDe680
Cool Member

Jal - do you only start peppers and tomatoes inside?

I am on the same "duration" schedule, if you will, as you. My 8 weeks out on tomatoes is coming up next weekend.

Do you transplant/upgrade your container before placing in your garden?

applestar
Mod

jal_ut wrote:These pots are large enough that the plants do not need to be transplanted. They can grow in them until time to go out.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Great info jal.

Do you bottom feed and if so, do you find the trays to handle the job well?

I ask because my lasagna pans do not work well for feeding so I have adjusted that aspect.

I now use the 18 pak plastic trays for up-potting from the peat pellets.

Still learning!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hey, that's really nice, Jal :)!

Tell me, I know you do not up-pot, but do you re-pot? That is, do you re-bury the seedlings in the containers during the growing period?

Also, you picture does not give me much for a scale, but would you say that your containers are about equivalent to 3 in. plastic pots in size?

Thanks for the great pic!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

To answer a few questions:
Jal - do you only start peppers and tomatoes inside?
I start tomatoes and peppers and occasionally some herbs that have very small seeds. Everything else I direct seed in the garden.

Tell me, I know you do not up-pot, but do you re-pot? That is, do you re-bury the seedlings in the containers during the growing period?

Also, you picture does not give me much for a scale, but would you say that your containers are about equivalent to 3 in. plastic pots in size?
I do not up pot nor repot except as I mentioned to split up a few doubles. When I plant these out I plant them deep enough to cover the cotyledon node. Then if they should get frozen, I can remove a little soil from around the stem and that node will send out new growth.

Those 9 ounce Solo cups are about a 3 inch pot. Think of a one cup measuring cup. These hold just a little more.
Do you bottom feed and if so, do you find the trays to handle the job well?
No bottom feeding. I water the pots. The pans are just to catch any drips and save the carpet.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That's a good trick with planting the toms up to the first node; it's like a back-up mechanism in case of a frost. I'll have to do that this year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”