FLgardenboy245
Newly Registered

whats wrong with my baby squash plants?

I recently started growing squash in my backyard and they have grown into small plants. I know little to none about gardening and I thought it would be a fun project. I am concerned, however with my squash plants leaves. the leaves are whiteish and discolored. some of the leaves look ok but some arent. besides that, the plants look pretty healthy. any help?

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'm going to guess they are lacking nutrients. I used to live and garden in Florida's sandy soil, and while it's easy to plant things in FL, you are always having to add nutrients to the soil to keep things healthy as everything just washes away every time it rains!

If you haven't already, I'd start a compost heap to help build up the soil (and actually make it soil, instead of gray sand :lol: ) and for now feed with fish emulsion and bone & bloodmeal. Should help. Opabina is better at telling what nutrients are missing, I'm guessing nitrogen myself but there may be something else as well.

Good luck!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

In the future, try growing your squash in the compost heap.

Usually, the plants start looking like that in the fall when it becomes to cold for the plants to survive. How has the temperature been in your area?

FLgardenboy245
Newly Registered

its been very hot, in the mid 80s to low 90s with almost no rain. I'm guessing I buy this fish emulsion stuff at the local hardware store? also, how do I put this stuff on my garden? I'm gonna try and get some pictures of the leaves soon

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”