toxicburn1

what do you think about UV lights ?

HI ALL!
What an awesome forum :)!

Just a question out there and sorry it haz been asked before and ihave missed it.

What do you think about UV Lights over plants? Does it Help? Does it not?

please share your thoughts

thanks in advance!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Depends on the plants. If it's a low light indoor plant I don't see the need, but if it's a high light outdoor plant then it's definately beneficial whle growing them indoors. Most here use Flourescent lights

toxicburn1

thanks that is what I thought:)

Ny sugestions on how close to the plants should light be?
I have some common veggies (tomatoes, cucambers, peppers)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Usually about 4-6'' from the tops of the plants. As close as you can get without making the plants too hot, else they'll wilt.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

UV light is mostly harmful to plants!

Here's a little article on lighting, but if you scroll down near the bottom, it gives a chart about how different wavelengths of light affect plant growth.

https://www.littlegreenhouse.com/guide3.shtml

You will see that the deepest into UV range, UV C is toxic, UV B is harmful, UVA (closest to blue) is not harmful, but not beneficial.

UV lights are used in pond filters to kill algae and other little plants that would otherwise grow in the pond! Stick to the regular fluorescents.

mrsgreenthumbs

2 rainbowgardener - I'm not sure but I think the Op meant UVA UVB light's. There are THE UV light's that ponders use (I fore went that with my own pond because I wanted a natural pond and my koi LOVED eating algae then there are the UVA/UVB bulbs that I use for my reptiles. They need it to use the calcium they need, I also surround their tanks with my house plants and ohhhhh boy, I'll have to snap a picture for you. My oak leaf plant LOVES that light. It literally presses it's leaves up against all sides of the glass to get closer to the light! Then you also have the Gro light's that most people use for.... ehhh hem indoor cultivation of .... well here it's legal if you have a prescription allowing you to grow your own.... ummm let's just call it mary. ;) I would think twice about useing man made sun light thought, those bulbs are so pricy! The ones I use for my reptiles are at LEAST 35 dollars a bulb not including the lamp. The grow one's can run atleast 200 dollars... used. :?

toxicburn1

I just have a regular party UV lights... not sure if they will do any good or bad.
Thanks guys, you are awesome !

toxicburn1

To all. Proven by me, lil' ones do not like UV lights. It's only good for parties and stuff.

Should have listened :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”